Device Drivers: Extreme Newbie Question

ikaika
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Do you need to install the driver before plugging in the device, or does plugging in the device cause the driver to be found and installed? Or is it both?

XP usually already has drivers for things, but connecting other things without drivers causes the system to be unreceptive of the thing forever without reverting the system to before it happened.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Most devices will have drivers already installed in OS X, if the devices conform to the specifications they're supposed to.

However, there is no idiotic must-revert-if-you-plugged-it-in-without-a-driver that there is under XP... simply, nothing will happen. Install the driver, try again, and voila. No magic or voodoo necessary.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    What device are you plugging in?

Most digital cameras and such already have drivers installed in Mac OS X.

The same goes with printers, but if yours isn't found, the manufacturer should provide you with the necessary drivers to install on your machine.

Mike
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

What device are you plugging in?

Most digital cameras and such already have drivers installed in Mac OS X.

The same goes with printers, but if yours isn't found, the manufacturer should provide you with the necessary drivers to install on your machine.

Mike

I'll be semi-specific, though it seems my question has already been answered:

Iomega external USB HDD (very frustrating setup in XP);

Panasonic SD AV device (or something like that);

Kodak still camera;

HP Deskjet printer.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Those should all just work when you plug them in, with the possible exception of the Panasonic.

No Add/Remove hardware crap to deal with, no oops-I-plugged-it-in-before-installing-the-driver-now-I'm-hosed idiocy...

Welcome to the Mac.