Napster bets the farm

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sells consumer software assets to Sonic Solutions

for 80 million. Roxio is now Napster and solely in business to sell digital music.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    Interesting. Looks like a blood transfusion for a heavy bleeder to me.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    so what will happen to roxio's burner software like Toast? I can't live without toast
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

    so what will happen to roxio's burner software like Toast? I can't live without toast



    The press release says Sonic is getting the Roxio brand, all the software, and all the employees. So Toast should continue exactly as always.



    Basically, it's like Napster acquired Roxio through a reverse merger and then sold their assets and now it's just Napster with new owners.

    Or something like that. I'm tired.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Another one bites the dust...duh duh duh another one bites the dust! And another one bites and another one bites...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Yup...really sounds like a certain company is trying to recuperate some heavy losses. Too bad they had to sell what they were good at to feed something that has no real future without hardware to go with it.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I'm not so sure about that. Napster is a powerful brand and we see itunes itunes itunes because we use apple. The PC side still has a lot of mp3 players and is still selling lots of them. Remember, those figures for ipod market share apple touts are dollar percentages, not actual numbers of players.



    Don't get me wrong, i don't think Napster will overtake the itunes music store anytime soon, but if I were a PC user who had a library of ripped songs in wma (which is the default in the windows media player) or who had purchased wma files, I wouldn't be buying an ipod nor using the itunes music store.



    I'm not one of those people, but I don't think wma is going anywhere anytime soon. Especially with the new HD-DVD format using windows media as part of the new spec.



    Napster blows, but they are far from biting the dust...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    Yup...really sounds like a certain company is trying to recuperate some heavy losses. Too bad they had to sell what they were good at to feed something that has no real future without hardware to go with it.



    I wonder what kind of losses they are trying to recuperate. Other than the initial hardware and advertising, how much can it possibly take to operate. They have no inventory, just some servers and a website they have to maintain. I'm no business major, but after the foundation is laid, it seems this is a pretty good business to be in.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,276member
    Quote:

    but if I were a PC user who had a library of ripped songs in wma (which is the default in the windows media player)



    These files should not be protected thus iTunes can convert them over into an iPod friendly format.



    Quote:

    Especially with the new HD-DVD format using windows media as part of the new spec.



    WMA is not a part of that equation. Only WMV will be used as VC-9 the open version.



    I agree Napster won't go without a fight but with Walmart diluting their grasp on the market and MS showing signs of wanting to jump in. It's not looking good for Napster. How many colleges are going to fall for their "anti-piracy" shakedown?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    This is all rather strange as I seem to remember a report a month or so ago that Napster was losing tons of money on their music venture while software continued to be profitable. I guess they are indeed betting the farm on a future collaboration with M$ concerning player compatibility for a new line of devices. However, at this point it seems they've thrown out the livestock and kept the animal by-products!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

    This is all rather strange as I seem to remember a report a month or so ago that Napster was losing tons of money on their music venture while software continued to be profitable. I guess they are indeed betting the farm on a future collaboration with M$ concerning player compatibility for a new line of devices. However, at this point it seems they've thrown out the livestock and kept the animal by-products!



    Apple should buy the name and put an end to the misery. 80mil is nothing with 5bil in the bank. How long did it take Apple to get 80 mil songs 2 years?



    Napster still has some bands that it licensed of which apple has not (nothing comes to mind here) so, to increase exposure Apple should buy napster and make a HUGE STEVE announcement that Apple has aquired the original Pirate source and after others failed, Apple has finally legitemized NAPSTER!!



    Go itms!



    But, let's get those euro indies over to the USA iWant my BASEMENT JAXX!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TednDi

    Apple should buy the name and put an end to the misery. 80mil is nothing with 5bil in the bank. How long did it take Apple to get 80 mil songs 2 years?



    Napster still has some bands that it licensed of which apple has not (nothing comes to mind here) so, to increase exposure Apple should buy napster and make a HUGE STEVE announcement that Apple has aquired the original Pirate source and after others failed, Apple has finally legitemized NAPSTER!!



    Go itms!



    But, let's get those euro indies over to the USA iWant my BASEMENT JAXX!




    Better to watch it smolder and die. It is barely even a vague hollow shell of what it once was.



    Apple is already in good position here as market leader. It would probably not appear too good if Apple was seen to be buying up the competition rather than defeat them on merit.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    How many colleges are going to fall for their "anti-piracy" shakedown?



    Too many already. Sadly, this list includes my alma mater.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JohnHenry

    I'm not so sure about that. Napster is a powerful brand and we see itunes itunes itunes because we use apple.





    Googlefight
  • Reply 14 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,276member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    Googlefight





    Yeah! Apple gets the TKO! Napster started of strong with an avalanche of FREE swings but Apple AACclimated itself nicely and managed to pull out some late victories. This bout isn't over yet folks stay iTuned to your monitors folks last time there was heated competition like this a boxer got his ear bit off, at this rate this may end up even worse.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Still...that was too close. You'd think iTunes would have slaughtered Napster but it didn't.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,276member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kim kap sol

    Still...that was too close. You'd think iTunes would have slaughtered Napster but it didn't.



    Remember Napster as a name has been around for years. iTunes just over a couple I think. Napster had a head start for sure.
Sign In or Register to comment.