iMovie/offloading movie from digicam

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey gang!

I just bought a Canon A75 digicam(got a good deal on it, too). I'm trying to offload the movie file, but there is little help from the included documentation.

Is a copy of iMovie(any version) available for free download(was it ever)? I would like to stay with Apple's app's but would rather not spend more dough for iLife(great deal tho it is. I'll try the included software but am not expecting much.

Also, will iMovie do the tranfer via USB or do I need to get an 3.5 plug- or RCA-Firewire adaptor?

Thanks.

Have a nice day.

Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmaniac

Hey gang!

I just bought a Canon A75 digicam(got a good deal on it, too). I'm trying to offload the movie file, but there is little help from the included documentation.

Is a copy of iMovie(any version) available for free download(was it ever)? I would like to stay with Apple's app's but would rather not spend more dough for iLife(great deal tho it is. I'll try the included software but am not expecting much.

Also, will iMovie do the tranfer via USB or do I need to get an 3.5 plug- or RCA-Firewire adaptor?

Thanks.

Have a nice day.

Steve

usb isnt even remotely fast enough for video transfer (high quality that is).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Get a firewire cable (iLink, IEEE 1394) and iMovie can transfer the movie to your Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmaniac

Hey gang!

Thanks.

Have a nice day.

Steve

the Canon A75 is a still camera with the ability to shoot some short videos.

You cannot connect it via fw, it has just an usb connector, which will make it impossible for iMovie to "see" your camera.

iMovie is part of the iLife suite, which is pre-installed on your mac or you have to buy it for 49 $ (correct?), you cannot download it for free...

iMovie just works with socalled dv files; these can be downloaded by allmost any camcorder connected via firewire.

in your case you have to use the tool "iamge capture" you'll find it in your prg bin, pre installed with 10.3. it will recognize your camera and you can download the pics and clips.

you can then import these clips into iMovie by drag'ndrop...