Getting Better WiFi reception with a PB

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anybody know a solution that works? These Quickertek antennas purport to, but they look a little iffy to me. I'm always a bit miffed when a PC-toting friend snaps in their WiFi card finds and connects at a relatively good speed to a signal a that I can't even see with my 17" Powerbook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    The only two things I know of are to either use the Quickertek antenna or to use a WiFi card that plugs into the PC card slot.

Prices are similar. Those QT antennae are not cheap. It is also a little funky to route the cable out through the pc card slot. If I was going to use one of those I'd find a way to drill a hole for a permanent solution.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jessearljessearl Posts: 103member
    How would an external antenna attach or plug in to a Powerbook? Is there an external wifi plug somewhere that I'm missing?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jessearl

How would an external antenna attach or plug in to a Powerbook? Is there an external wifi plug somewhere that I'm missing?

The antenna cabled would probably be routed in the CardBus slot to connect to the internal AirPort card. Not a pretty solution. Just get an external 802.11g card with an antenna connector like the Buffalo Airstation one.

EDIT: Yeah, they use a pigtail routed through the card slot...

http://www.quickertek.com/al15whip.html