alias sketchbook for os x? when did THIS happen?

rokrok
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
okay, did i miss an announcement? this is pretty big news, as i thought alias would never port this program to a platform that didn't already have a shipping tablet...

Alias Sketchbook Pro for OS X

honestly, i cannot imagine apple doesn't have a tablet now. with ink basically doing nothing inside of os x, and this being developed for os x right after they got unlimited to os x, apple may not have a tablet waiting int he wings, but i would just about flip OUT if the next iMac had a full-tilt and swivel touch-screen flat panel (or a kick-out stand to allow it to sit desktop-style like a thinner -- and cheaper -- cintiq), using ati's new versavision drivers to adjust orientation, and turning the imac into the artists digital drawing/painting platform of choice...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Ink does a lot if you're an artist using a mac.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Alias announced Sketchbook over a month ago I believe.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    What is Ink?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    INK is in your system preferences if you have a Wacom tablet, or a pen style writing device/pointer attached to your Mac. It's just like the blue tooth preference pane. Same thing. It's there if you need it.

Alias Sketchbook Pro came out a few months ago. I have it. It's a handy little app, and worth the price. It's not as fully functional as painter, or photoshop, but it is a great sketch app, and has the classic Alias kick @ss interface.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Ink does a lot if you're an artist using a mac.

okay, excuse this if it's a dumb response...

um, how? i thought ink was meant ostensibly as text and command input... do you mean if you are already using a tablet as your primary means of input, you don't have to switch to keyboard as often?

just curious...

and color me clueless about sketchbook... i somehow missed when this was announced.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

okay, excuse this if it's a dumb response...

um, how? i thought ink was meant ostensibly as text and command input... do you mean if you are already using a tablet as your primary means of input, you don't have to switch to keyboard as often?

just curious...

I'm not sure what he means by it being useful for an artist, maybe this?

Or perhaps he means that if you're an artist, you have a tablet, therefore it's occasionally useful to write out notes? For what it's worth, Ink is pretty pointless, as obviously it's faster to type a key than draw out the form of a letter for most people. The recognition isn't bad though. I definitely couldn't see anyone using it as their primary means of input.

If you really want a tablet, I'd get just get a Wacom. My Intuos matches my Aluminum PowerBook perfectly and is just about the same size as my 15 inch.