Poll: Would you buy an iMac with the specs published by TS?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Here are the specs:

Edu iMac:

- 1.6GHz

- 40GB HDD

- 256 MB RAM

- GF 4MX graphics, 32 MB DDR VRAM

- standard ports (VGA, USB, FW) + S- and composite Video

- no optical drive whatsoever

- 17" TFT

Entry level:

- 1.6 GHz

- 80 GB HDD

- Combo Drive

- GF MX 5200, 64 MB DDR VRAM

- everything else like "Edu"

Mid Range

- 1.8 GHz

- Super Drive

- everything else like Entry level

- 20" TFT

High End

- like Mid Range, but with 160 GB HDD

So, would you buy one? Which? (I've excluded the Edu Version)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 184
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    With Apple's current lineup, the only thing I would consider buying is a 12 inch iBook, 12 in Powerbook, or a PC.

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 184
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Total BS.
  • Reply 3 of 184
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Total BS.

What - this poll? Why?
  • Reply 4 of 184
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I would never buy it, nor recommend it.
  • Reply 5 of 184
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

I would never buy it, nor recommend it.

Zap you'll get over it. The iMac isn't that bad of a deal. You know it's going to look good and with the G5 it'll perform great for consumers.

I'm glad TS has given us a realistic taste. It really pains me to see some of you get wrapped up in $999 headless dreams over an over an over again.

I'd buy the 17". The 5200 might not run Doom III but it'll run most other games at over 30fps and it supports Tigers Core Image and Motion albeit slower than a Powermac but then again that's the point. It's not a Powermac.
  • Reply 6 of 184
    I wouldn't buy the thing at all. I'd rather buy a PowerBook.
  • Reply 7 of 184
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jiminy C.

I wouldn't the thing at all.

English please.
  • Reply 8 of 184
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

English please.

I was in a hurry. Sorry if it offended you because I didn't use correct English.
  • Reply 9 of 184
    Quote:

I was in a hurry. Sorry if it offended you because I didn't use correct English.

No I just wanted to know what you though. I'd love a powerbook too but I'm about 2 years away from getting one. So I guess I'll be lucky enough to have a Powerbook g5 when I'm ready with some decent GPU graphics.
  • Reply 10 of 184
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    i voted no, with no upgrade path this thing is again a dog. they should have just kept making the old one with G4 bumps and better video. if these specs hold true get ready for a flop. 1.6 G5 imac should have been introduced last year but i guess its fitting to have last years last place video chip along with the slowest G5 from a year ago. The specs are not pretty and look to me as if bean counters built this thing.
  • Reply 11 of 184
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    The price/performance still isn't there based on the info from TS. Apple relly needs to get it down to the "Sweet Spot" of below $1,000. Also, the bottom end of 1.6 Ghz would have been nice 6 months ago, but right now it should really be 1.8 Ghz to make it competative for the next 6 months. That is still below the speeds of intell computers selling for less (spare me the flames about Apple not competing with Dell, they do because Dell sells consumer computers). Also, with the impending release of Tiger and it's better utilization of the GPU a more powerfull one at the entry level would be welcome.

It seams unlikly to me that Apple would completly omit the optical drive on the education model, how else are you going to update or reinstall the sytem software and Apps? You may not have a network to net boot off of, and the applications may require a CD installed to load them.
  • Reply 12 of 184
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

I wouldn't buy the thing at all. I'd rather buy a PowerBook.

Which powerbook? The 12" powerbook? If the 12" powerbook then you are getting the same card that everyone is B*tching about. I will get the imac G5 because it has the better processor(not for long).So you have to be more specific in your I would rather buy a pbook rant.
  • Reply 13 of 184
    Quote:

Originally posted by JCG

The price/performance still isn't there based on the info from TS. Apple relly needs to get it down to the "Sweet Spot" of below $1,000. Also, the bottom end of 1.6 Ghz would have been nice 6 months ago, but right now it should really be 1.8 Ghz to make it competative for the next 6 months. That is still below the speeds of intell computers selling for less (spare me the flames about Apple not competing with Dell, they do because Dell sells consumer computers). Also, with the impending release of Tiger and it's better utilization of the GPU a more powerfull one at the entry level would be welcome.

It seams unlikely to me that Apple would completly omit the optical drive on the education model, how else are you going to update or reinstall the sytem software and Apps? You may not have a network to net boot off of, and the applications may require a CD installed to load them.

Tell me how to get to $999. Common rule of thumb is retail price is 3-5x your parts costs.

Thus even with min markup of 3x A $999 computer would need a parts cost of $333

Now imagine the manufacturing costs of

Case- Custom designed

LCD- 17"

Mobo- G5 capable

RAM/HD/Modem etc

How does Apple get this for sub $400 people. Once again your own personal RDF makes logic an unobtainable endeavor.

There is no decent Dell or HP or IBM PC for $999. Stop selling us your GD wolf tickets people.
  • Reply 14 of 184
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    At the moment, based on the TS article i'll be saving (very long term :/) for the entry-level PowerMac. None of the iMacs here present enough bang-for-buck.

I don't mind paying Apple prices, but i want good performance.

My problem is getting a PowerMac means getting a new monitor (i have a 17" lcd, but it's crap), which adds the price of a decent windows pc to the price of the PowerMac. Which i don't mind too much, a 20" or 23" alu cinema display will be great for a long time, but it means i'll be saving forever.

I'm holding a small bit of hope that TS is talking out of it's backside or maybe Apple has put out false info to ensure a surprise, but i suspect i'm kidding myself.
  • Reply 15 of 184
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Which powerbook? The 12" powerbook? If the 12" powerbook then you are getting the same card that everyone is B*tching about. I will get the imac G5 because it has the better processor(not for long).So you have to be more specific in your I would rather buy a pbook rant.

I meant that I would rather buy a Power Book G5 when it comes out rather than buying the iMac G5, although that may take some time. I'm willing to wait. Sorry for being not specific.
  • Reply 16 of 184
    Quote:

No I just wanted to know what you though. I'd love a powerbook too but I'm about 2 years away from getting one. So I guess I'll be lucky enough to have a Powerbook g5 when I'm ready with some decent GPU graphics.

You mean 'what you thought.' Not 'what you though.'
  • Reply 17 of 184
    Quote:

but i suspect i'm kidding myself.

Yes you are.

My how quickly expectations can get out of hand. A year ago a 2Ghz G5 was the fastest Mac you could buy and it was $3k sans monitor.

Next month you'll be able to buy a 1.8Ghz computer with a great LCD for less than $2k. I fail to see the problem here. The value is great. I'm getting a G5 in a consumer computer. Once tiger ships so will Xcode 2.0 which means every developer has access to GCC 3.5 and auto vectorization so my iMac g5 gets yummy software.

The complaints are mainly coming from fanboys who want to brag to their PC using friends how fast their Macs are. There is nothing in the TS article that leads me to believe you couldn't accomplish serious work on the iMac g5. Is that what it's all about...accomplishing "work"
  • Reply 18 of 184
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Not at the TS prices, NO WAY!

Where you define the starting point and how you specify it are the key issues.

I have no problem with the CPU and/or GPU, only the prices at which they're being offered.

There's no reason why the 17" combo model described shouldn't cost 999.

If you want to start the entry at 1299, then that model needs a superdrive and 512MB of RAM.

1K is not a budget computer. The rest of the computing industry can manage to sell a 17" LCD equipped machine with a combo drive for that price. Not a loss leader by any stretch.

Apple is dreaming if it thinks that anyone but an Apple diehard will buy that iMac combo-17 for 1299.
  • Reply 19 of 184
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Yes you are.

My how quickly expectations can get out of hand. A year ago a 2Ghz G5 was the fastest Mac you could buy and it was $3k sans monitor.

Next month you'll be able to buy a 1.8Ghz computer with a great LCD for less than $2k. I fail to see the problem here. The value is great. I'm getting a G5 in a consumer computer. Once tiger ships so will Xcode 2.0 which means every developer has access to GCC 3.5 and auto vectorization so my iMac g5 gets yummy software.

The complaints are mainly coming from fanboys who want to brag to their PC using friends how fast their Macs are. There is nothing in the TS article that leads me to believe you couldn't accomplish serious work on the iMac g5. Is that what it's all about...accomplishing "work"

Thought so

I'm in the UK, so the top end iMac G4 costs (well, would if they were still selling them on the Apple store), £1643, which is $3029. Rip-Off Britain, whoo

A standard dual-1.8 PowerMac G5 with a 20" monitor is £2252 or $4151. This is not cheap in any sense of the word. However, like i said, i don't mind paying Apple prices it's just a case of saving up for a long time, which is frustrating when you want a new system now.

The CPUs in the TS iMac specs are fine, this is perfectly true. As long as there are good BTO options (i'd want 1gb or more of RAM, and i'd like a better gfx card, how likely is that to be a BTO option?) then the high end iMac G5 will probably be fine for me, but i want a system that is going to be as future-proof as possible at the cheapest price possible.

As a money-spending consumer, wanting stuff cheap is not outrageous, it's common sense. Doesn't mean we'll get it, but wanting it isn't wrong.
  • Reply 20 of 184
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    these specs are shit

and the prices? FUCK THAT I will buy a 12 inch powerbook and build a $700 pc, spending the same ammount and getting elegent portability in the powerbook, and, in the pc, the POWER that apple is too stingy with.

gee, it would be nice to have so much money that I could toss 2 grand down the shitter on the top end proposed imac.

If these stats are right, then it is official, the 'i' no longer means internet, it now means idiot, which describes the buyers properly.