Looking for a New Small-ish TV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My now-deceased 19" Zenith from 1987 (passed down from my parents) bought the farm this past week thanks to an electrical surge during a thunderstorm. Everything else in my place is fine, in case you were concerned but this was the last straw for the thing. So I'm in the market for a new TV.

The new TV will be going in my living room, but I don't want it to be the focus of the room, i.e., oversized. I don't watch a lot of TV, tohgh I would like a good picture and audio for my DVDs. I'm thinking that my decision might depend somewhat on whether I think more HD programming is coming sooner than later, and whether whatever programming I choose (satellite or cable) will provide that within the next 3-5 years.

Don't LCD TVs seem really overpriced, especially if they're HD-ready (higher res)? If I went with one, I would probably have to go with a small screen size, though the image would be better than analog. I know these stores say that if you're going to be sitting 5-8' (approx. 1.5-2.5m) away from the screen, that a 32" screen is recommended, but that seems like overkill to me. On the other hand, 17" seems a bit on the small side too.

Would it unwise to take a serious look at an old-timey CRT type TV, maybe a "flat" screen model like Wega or something similar? They're deep and heavy and bulky but I can get a bigger screen for the price. Would EDTV resolution be satisfactory for this thing, keep it viable for the next few years?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    I have a 5-year old 24" Sony WEGA that I've been very happy with. My room isn't that large (I sit roughly 6" away), so it's a good size.

That said, I wouldn't consider purchasing any TV for your purposes that wasn't HD capable and had a wide aspect. With HD being offered for an extra $5/month by my cable provider (Comcast), I've been itching for an under 30-inch set--and the CRT models have dropped in price quite a bit.

CRT models can be had for $800 and under. Disadvantages: volume and weight.

Peruse at your local Best Buy, etc., and check 'em out. Make sure it has at least one component video-in (for your DVD player and/or HD input) and an HD tuner (some are purely HD monitors where a separate tuner is needed).

HD is here, really. I'd love to watch the Olympics in HD since it has quite good camera work--perhaps for the Winter '06 games.