Superdrive-- Broken?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a G4 (quicksilver) 867 Single Processor with 768 MB of ram, etc etc. It has a 2X DVD write drive.

I have been trying to burn a dvd from iDVD, and I would keep getting errors. I don't remember exactly what they said... but they never came up until burning time.

Anyway, I tried to burn a dvd straight from Toast today, and it encoded fine, but as soon as it started writing, I got this error:

"Sense Key= ILLEGAL REQUEST

Sense Code= 0x72, 0x05

Session Fixation Error"

Any ideas? please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    I should also note, the drive does everything else (read, write cds, read dvds) perfectly fine.

I cleaned the lens using a lens cleaner cd thing. and tried again, and I got this error in toast:

"Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR

Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03"

thanks for helping.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I believe that you might be using a ( + ) DVD. Right now you can only use DVD-R media. The are some work arounds, here is a link from MacOSHints.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...&query=dvd%2Br

reg
  • Reply 3 of 5
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Not trying to deviate from the topic but can I burn DVD+RW on a G5 using Disk Utility or Roxio Toast 6.0.7. I have the latest version of Toast, where I stay DVD+RW is costs less than half compared to DVD-RW. I had bought some cheap DVD-R's and could not even burn a single DVD, I have Pioneer 107D as my super-drive. Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I am using some maxell dvd-rs. But, if I understand right, you're saying that it is possible that the problem could be bad dvds? They are 2x dvds, and i figured they would work. They are a year old, I am working at the same summer job I had last summer, and last summer we had bought a 100 pack of them.... so could they be old or something? i've been using very pristine looking ones...

would blowing a can of spray-air help?

i just want to point out, for the record, that this sucks.

thanks, and please post any more suggestions, i'll update when i get to my computer tomorrow.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    just to let everyone know, my super drive is working, i got Apple blank dvds, and it works fine.

thanks though.