Faster Boots - Instant On Hardware

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Why can't we have systems that don't need to boot. Instead of being powered off when not used they would actually be in a sleep mode. I can put my PB to sleep and by the time I awaken it by opening the lid it's ready to go. Instant on. Seem's to me that this can be extended so when any system (laptop or desktop) leaves the factory it is already booted but sleeping. When a user gets their new system all they are really doing is awakening it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    With current technologies, that sucks battery power, which would be bad from an inventory POV.

I'm spacing on the name of the tech, but there's a form of memory that can preserve its contents without requiring power (besides SRAM...). When that becomes inexpensive enough in quantity, you'll start seeing many more instant-on devices. Until then, while we have SDRAM and while hard drives are significantly cheaper than any other kind of persistent mass storage, things will have to boot.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I guess it would be currently impractical to have a bank of EEPROMs that mirror system memory.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Well, once you have an eMac or iMac or whatever desktop machine you have, you can put it to sleep just like the PowerBooks, right?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    What we need is to have the OS on a piece of non volital ram, Startup and performance would increase, but there would still be the bottleneck with the apps and many extensions, plug-ins etc would still be run off HD...... All kinda like a permanent ramdisk.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

... there's a form of memory that can preserve its contents without requiring power (besides SRAM...). When that becomes inexpensive enough in quantity, you'll start seeing many more instant-on devices...

Amorph, that would be MRAM being developed by IBM.

Quote:

IBM is teaming with Infineon Corporation to develop Magnetic RAM chips, which have the potential to replace all computer memory RAM technologies in use today and can lead to instant-on computers and longer battery life for pervasive devices. Magnetic RAM chips use magnetic rather than electrical structures to store information, so they do not need to be constantly powered to retain data, like current RAM technologies. They are also much faster and less expensive to make than today's nonvolatile Flash memory.

This web site HowStuffWorks has a good description of MRAM, and how it will revolutionize the computer industry.

• Reply 6 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

With current technologies, that sucks battery power, which would be bad from an inventory POV.

I'm spacing on the name of the tech, but there's a form of memory that can preserve its contents without requiring power (besides SRAM...). When that becomes inexpensive enough in quantity, you'll start seeing many more instant-on devices. Until then, while we have SDRAM and while hard drives are significantly cheaper than any other kind of persistent mass storage, things will have to boot.

You are thinking of flash (ala the card in your digital camers)

manny geeks use it to install a base OS (lets say windows 98 ) and a front end, then attach a hdd for the programs and media and put these things in their cars, essentialy having a home brew dvd-nav system.

many "slowness" issues, if there is such a thing with the G5, could be lessened or overted by useing faster HDDs, if you want a speed boost, start by upping your system to a gig of ram, this is true for linux, mac, or windows, also consider a faster HDD, like a 10k rpm raptor, or a 15000 rpm barracuda, this will also boost proformance regardless of platform.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Why can't we have systems that don't need to boot. Instead of being powered off when not used they would actually be in a sleep mode. I can put my PB to sleep and by the time I awaken it by opening the lid it's ready to go. Instant on. Seem's to me that this can be extended so when any system (laptop or desktop) leaves the factory it is already booted but sleeping. When a user gets their new system all they are really doing is awakening it.

I never shutdown my tower, I leave it in deep sleep (i.e. OFF). It is ready to go a couple of seconds after I hit a key. By the time I've typed my password enough memory has been reloaded from disk that I don't have to wait. What more do you want?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Shutdown? What's shutdown?

I haven't shutdown my powermac in over 4 years other than for installing a new DVD burner and a new graphics card.

By the time my analog LCD syncs to a signal, the system is ready to use. For me, there is little room for improvement.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Shutdown? What's shutdown?

I haven't shutdown my powermac in over 4 years other than for installing a new DVD burner and a new graphics card.

By the time my analog LCD syncs to a signal, the system is ready to use. For me, there is little room for improvement.

4 years

4 years with no lightning storms, no black/brown outs, no squirls in the powerline? that is increadible!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

You are thinking of flash (ala the card in your digital camers)

I was actually thinking of MRAM. Flash is expensive and s l o w.

Quote:

many "slowness" issues, if there is such a thing with the G5, could be lessened or overted by useing faster HDDs, if you want a speed boost, start by upping your system to a gig of ram, this is true for linux, mac, or windows, also consider a faster HDD, like a 10k rpm raptor, or a 15000 rpm barracuda, this will also boost proformance regardless of platform.

Very-high-speed HDDs like the Raptor and the Barracuda are actually pretty dubious as desktop drives. Besides their high prices, they let out a loud whine, they have a fairly high failure rate, and they're only fast if they don't have to spin up (if you sleep them, or sleep your system, you lose their major advantage). The original poster was concerned with faster boot times, and you're not going to get a faster boot time waiting for a 15K drive to spin up. You put those drives in rack-mounted RAIDs, out of the way, and let them run nonstop until they fail.

I also envy dfiler's uptime. There's no way the weather here would allow 4 years of uptime. Although a local electrician does sell a natural gas-powered generator that kicks in when your power fails. Hmmm...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Heheh. I too wish I had 4 years of uptime.

Rather, it's been 4 years since I've shutdown my mac for anything other than an upgrade.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

Amorph, that would be MRAM being developed by IBM.

Hmmm, is this the rebirth of core memory at a nanoscale that I recently heard of? Very cool.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Hmmm, is this the rebirth of core memory at a nanoscale that I recently heard of? Very cool.

Nanoscale core memory? Heh, I'd be happy to be able to buy a 5 or 10 GB MRAM PCard to boot and run my Powerbook from.

Even a 2 or 4 GB MRAM CF card for my Nikon. (I'd still use my PCard CF adapter to boot OSX).

How about a Mini Pod with MRAM and 48 hrs play time?

MRAM: The Holy Grail of Memory

Quote:

Two promises of MRAM are instant-start computers (no "booting up") and greater battery life in cell phones and portable computers.

• Reply 14 of 14
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    FTM, the boot time on my 1.6 G5 is extremely fast - around a minute or so. Compare that to the 10 minutes or more before my 2.4 P4 W2K machine is ready to accept input...