30 in displays

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
has anyone heard of the date for the release of the 30in?...... Reason i ask is that i got $$$$$$ aside for it and would like to get it b4 wifey finds something else for me to do with it (fellas u know how that goes) .... and i also see on apple's site that the video card needed has been pushed back to sept ..... i am a lil confused since it requires this card to work why would the display possibly be available b4 the required additional hardware?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Instead of getting a 30" LCD w/DDL Graphics card, a total of 3900, I'd get Two 20" LCD"s with the 6800 Video for only a total of 3200. You get almost identical screen size, only about 500,000 pixels less. Which really isn't that much, unless your into high res hardcore video editing or animation. Having two 20"s will look more impresive IMO.

The date release I think will be the begining of Sept for the 30".
  • Reply 2 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The 30 inch screen will be fantastic for photoshop work on huges files. It's expansive, but it will worth the bucks.

For video editing, I agree with the two screens solution.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I'd get Two 20" LCD"s with the 6800 Video for only a total of 3200. You get almost identical screen size, only about 500,000 pixels less.

The "size" might be nearly identical, but the "shape" will be radically different. A 30" has a vertical resolution of 1600 pixels whereas 2x20" has a vertical resolution of 1050 pixels. Depending on your application, one of these layouts might be much more desirable. For audio work, for example, the 30" is a better choice so that you can have as many tracks as possible arrayed on screen at once (since audio sequencers lay the tracks out vertically). Obviously the 30" would be far superior for viewing large Photoshop images. Two 20"'s might work better for professional video editing so that your bins are kept separate from the timeline and video playback.

Since raw is asking about the 30" I think it's fair to assume that he's considered these issues and decided the 30" works better for his intended application(s).
  • Reply 4 of 8
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Instead of getting a 30" LCD w/DDL Graphics card, a total of 3900, I'd get Two 20" LCD"s with the 6800 Video for only a total of 3200. You get almost identical screen size, only about 500,000 pixels less. Which really isn't that much, unless your into high res hardcore video editing or animation. Having two 20"s will look more impresive IMO.

The date release I think will be the begining of Sept for the 30".

The 20" Cinema Display is not as bright as the 23" and 30" Cinema displays. Check the specs:

Brightness (typical)

? 20-inch Apple Cinema Display: 250 cd/m2

? 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display: 270 cd/m2

? 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display: 270 cd/m2
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    To my understanding the displays and 6800 were supposed to ship at the same time, however even in the PC world 6800 ultras are rare, obviously nVidia hasn't been able to ship these cards in sufficient quantity yet. That'll be the reason why, certainly wasn't in Apple's plans to do this.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    i am a digital photographer and will be using the 30in for photoshop purposes ..... so i guess it would be fair to say that the 30in is useless without having the card installed!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by raw911

i am a digital photographer and will be using the 30in for photoshop purposes ..... so i guess it would be fair to say that the 30in is useless without having the card installed!

I find it difficult to believe the 30 incher would be effective for Photoshop work. It's f*cking huuuuuuuuge. You're going to strain your arm moving the cursor from the left to the righ of the screen!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    yea i know its big .... just spoke to the apple store online people .... they must get a commission for sales .... anyway still cant get a date from them just "if u order it now u will get it as soon as it is available" ....