Networking question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I have a problem I am trying to solve and need your help. I am trying to network a windows pc to a new ibook to transfer some files over, and as of now have idea how to do this. I have the required cable, so if anyone who knows how to do this could post some instructions i would be extremely grateful!

Thanks ever so much for your help.

Dan.

P.S I searched the support site on apple.com, and while it was useful, it was still a little confusing!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Have you turned on Windows File Sharing on the Mac?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Yes, I have done that. I know it sounds real stupid but I just can't seem to get it to set up a network. I know how to do it using two windows computers, but not cross platform.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I do this a lot at home in one direction - from my Mac I mount a shared volume which exists on the PC.

Both computers need to have IP addresses. In my case I use a router so both computers get IP addresses via DHCP server setting. I haven't tried it with just a cable. I would try setting manual addresses for both machines.

Next, on the Mac from the finder choose Go/Connect to Server. Enter the name of the PC shared volume as

smb://machine_name/folder_name

This results in a dialog asking for your user name and password. If those are entered correctly the requested volume is mounted.

After connecting the machines by Ethernet and setting IP addresses you can confirm if they see each other various ways.

Open the Terminal app on the Mac. Try to ping the IP address you set on the PC.

Also in Terminal try typing 'findsmb'. It will list the name of your PC if it is visible to the Mac.