I am a soccer coach!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I get a call two days ago. Mr. Trumptman, we need to ask if you wouldn't mind coaching soccer because we are short on coaches. If we don't get two more coaches, we will have to disband two teams. (Including conveniently enough, the one my son happens to have signed up to play on)

"I've never played organized soccer."

That's okay.

"I'm not entirely sure on the rules."

That's okay.

"I post on Appleinsider."

Mmmmmmmmmmmm... (background muttering and swearing) That's going to have to be okay.

So now after a four hour, hands on session with two Brits attempting to show me and several other adults all there is to know about soccer, I am a soccer coach to a team of five, five year old children.

Life is indeed a curious thing.

They play three on three with no goalie. It is (hopefully) more about fun and games. AYSO seems very well organized and any tips or experiences you care to share will be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Pack some heat just in case the parents get out of line.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    3 on 3 with no goalie? Very odd. I guess I didn't play in kindergarten but I'm sure that I was playing by second grade and it was always the usual soccer format.

As long as you remember to bring the orange slices to snack on during breaks you will be considered competent. Of course, you have to buy pizza for everyone after the last game of the season.

Never coached soccer but I've coached baseball for lower el kids. I wouldn't worry about your ignorance of soccer, if you are talking five year olds then they won't reallly be paying all that much attention to you anyway. Try to get them to learn a few rudimentary things such as to which direction they want to kick the ball, to share every once and a while with their teammates, to kick with their insteps instead of their toes and try to get them not to touch the ball with their hands and arms. And not to kick each other.

One of the great things about kids sports is that to the kids it is mathematically possible for both teams to have more points or goals or runs than the other team.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    3 on 3 with small goals is exactly how you learn the fundamentals of the game.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Give them running training without ball the first 30mins of training, that will teach the little bratts!

• Reply 5 of 13
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 134member
    it's kinda cool, isn't it?

3 on 3 with 5 kids? how do you do that?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sparhawk

it's kinda cool, isn't it?

3 on 3 with 5 kids? how do you do that?

Substitutions.

Nick
  • Reply 7 of 13
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Trump don't fret it will be easy. It must be younger ages? 5-6 year olds usually play small sided games in order to 1. touch the ball more 2. Play a lot more. 3. Feel a part of the team. The fields are normally about 20yds wide and like 35-40yds long around my area at that age.

Work on simple dribbling with them and some basic passing. It's really meant to just have fun at the younger ages.

X<------------>XX

a simple 3 person drill

dribble back and forth 5 times across minimum

dribble half way and then try and pass to teammate

only left across

only right across

At a young age this simple drill will help

For all 5-6 kids

Square 20yds by 20yds

All players dribble in the square

you say go and they try to knock each others balls out while keeping theirs in.

Fun and simple

really overall just have fun.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

you may also consider a cup in case of a cheap shot.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

No he's right. Beware the parents. When they're good, they're very, very good but when they're bad, they're frickin' horrible.

Other than that, sounds like it should be a hoot.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    with 5 years kids, soccer looks like more than catch than real english football
  • Reply 11 of 13
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    So you're going to be a packball coach?

I think the big thing that coaches of young teams do is to try to convince the kids not to play packball.

Anyway, the big challenge isn't to teach them soccer, but to get them to behave. Of course, the best way to keep them happy is to keep them winning. (yar) Even so, if you keep things appealing to 5 year olds, and as long as you don't lose every game, it will be fine. I don't think any of the coaches I had before the age of 12 knew anything about soccer.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I coached my own kid for five seasons starting at the same age. I can be a blast. The first thing I told the kids was that we were there to have FUN. In practice, keep the drills short, otherwise they lose interest and become bored. Incorporate soccer skills into other games that they like to play, (ie tag, sharks and minnows.) Have several activities planned before you start. Don't wing it. The less down time the better.

Also request (require?) other parents to assist with practice. You may be their coach but not their babysitter. The kids love having their mom or dad playing out there with them.

Finally let the kids know you are having a good time. They will respond in kind.

After four years now all the kids I started with are still playing soccer because they love it. They may not be the best ones out there but that doesn't matter. Its just a game.

art jrk