Mac's at CompUSA - a disgrace...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was at a CompUSA today and I made my way to the Mac section and when I took a look at the new Powerbooks to my dismay, the 15 " Powerbook has keys missing as well as the 17"! What the heck?? The Mac sections in CompUSA's are always a shambles. The keys on these lapotps were literally gone. CompUSA also makes it a habit of putting their laptops under some dungeon looking lock device so that you can't even close the lid.

NO respect I tell ya...no respect...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    they also usually don't have anyone near them, that's why they have those horrid locks... Compusa is a really bad place to go for literally anything... Theft is also very easy in their stores, my friend works there and always talks about it.

1. People get past the magnet detector by doing this: they buy a cheapo item with a magnet strip on it, they stuff a more expensive item in their purse or bag, when the detector goes off, they just wave you by because you bought something.

2. people just walk in, grab a computer, and WALK out the door, no guards and the employees are not allowed to follow suite....

sad really
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I worked in a liquor store where the directive was never to apprehend anyone. You could literally walk in, pick something up in full view, hold it out infront of you, smile for the camera, and walk out.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    I was at the CompUSA in Birmingham and someone just walked out with the 22" display, CompUSA didn't even have security camera's in those days. Hope these guys are more careful
  • Reply 4 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

I worked in a liquor store where the directive was never to apprehend anyone. You could literally walk in, pick something up in full view, hold it out infront of you, smile for the camera, and walk out.

Umm...just out of curiosity...where was that store?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    OK so I lied.

There is no security camera
  • Reply 6 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Now i know where to do my "shopping".
  • Reply 7 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    CompUSA in indy was cool when I was there, it is no apple store, but what do you expect, ALL LAPTOPS IN EVERY COmpuTER STORE IS LOCKED DOWN LIKE NOTHING ELSE.

My only complaint about comp usa is the verry same complaint i have about the apple store, no video clips to really try FC pro, I don't want to do a full show or anything, just 2 clips so one could get a feel for the canvas and timeline, other than that, they are both OK.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I hate going to those stores because if a customer asks about getting an apple... the salesmen always says something about how they are not a good choice and pushes the customer to the winboxes... grrr
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

I hate going to those stores because if a customer asks about getting an apple... the salesmen always says something about how they are not a good choice and pushes the customer to the winboxes... grrr

Sounds like the employees at Fry's Electronics, I asked the guy that was working in the Apple area, asked him if he knew about Macs, he said yes, I asked if I could play Doom3 with Virtual PC on an eMac(I have neither of those 3, just testing his knowledge of the platform). He said with a resounding yes, I snickered and walked away.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Well I like how they treat the products at Compusa! It is a great way to see how much abuse and general neglect a Powerbook can take. As for Fry's and Compusa salespeople, well if it wasn't for their ignorance I might not have ever bought an Apple! They were either so inept or full of sh8t that they told me a mac could do everything I need including Visio and Minitab, as well as play all PC video games. (Never even mentioned virtual PC). I bought a Powerbook and am so happy I did 1 1/2 years later.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    This is why The Apple Store came to be.

I had an experience awhile ago at annother store (not Comp USA). I was looking at something in the Mac section when an older couple came in to look at Powerbooks. They were undecided about Macs vs PCs and were looking for information. The salesmam told them something like this " Macs are good for reading email and surfing the web. If you want to do anything technical you need a 'Microsoft Product'. " AHHHHHHH
  • Reply 12 of 12
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

My only complaint about comp usa is the verry same complaint i have about the apple store, no video clips to really try FC pro, I don't want to do a full show or anything, just 2 clips so one could get a feel for the canvas and timeline, other than that, they are both OK.

not just FC, but all of apple's applications, I've often thought that it was kind of silly to just go and LOOK at a computer, or move the mouse around a little bit, glance at "about this mac" or watch the silly demo video.

At least they got internet on the macs at the apple stores, then at least you can actually get into what is likely to be the vast amount of your computing time, and get a feel for how the computer will operate under casualish usage.

But it would be really neat if there was a preloaded photo gallery in the iPhoto to experiment with, a couple albums on iTunes to listen to and experiment with organizing and the likes, notes in the stickies demonstrating RTF, video clips in FC and iMovie to play with, a test song in Garageband that shows off it's meaty features.

etc...then you could really play around with the computer and realize why it's so awesome.

oh well, the logistical issues probably outweigh the usefulness, especially considering they reformat all the macs at the stores every night(from what I understand)

oh yea, this thread is about compUSA....hm, the closest compUSA to me is okay, the mac section is shoddy, but not much shoddier than any other section, they have everything that a mac user could need though, pretty much, in terms of software, hardware and the likes. So, it's fine by me