NTSC/PAL apply to dvd?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i'm currently travelling europe and i want to buy a dvd set while here(24s3 because i'm told it's delayed in north america). i know i can play the pal dvd on my computer since i can stil change the region code of my drive couple more times but i'm wondering if i can play it back home, in canada. does ntsc/pal code work like vhs or is it different for dvds? please clarify this for me.

also, i'm most definitely backing this up with mac the ripper, will this help play the back up discs on my dvd player(ps2)? thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lemonaded

i'm currently travelling europe and i want to buy a dvd set while here(24s3 because i'm told it's delayed in north america). i know i can play the pal dvd on my computer since i can stil change the region code of my drive couple more times but i'm wondering if i can play it back home, in canada. does ntsc/pal code work like vhs or is it different for dvds? please clarify this for me.

also, i'm most definitely backing this up with mac the ripper, will this help play the back up discs on my dvd player(ps2)? thanks

I wouldnt be too woried about ntsc vs pal, I would be worried about the hardware region lock on the stand-alone dvd player.

p.s. I don't know what works on the mac, but there is a hack for winXP that lets you change region code unlimited times. some call it illegal, most call it fair use.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Even if you change the region code, most NTSC equipment won't play PAL.

I suggest you try to get NTSC versions. If you can't you'll need to rip the DVD, change to NTSC and burn.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    if you buy a region-free player, they have NTSC/PAL converters.

here's a cheap one
  • Reply 4 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    My walmart 50$ dvd player has amenu option something like

"DVD Format: (menu) NTSC, PAL"

along with various aspect ratio settings, don't know about the reigon code thing, I have no out of country DVDs to play with.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

Even if you change the region code, most NTSC equipment won't play PAL.

Are you sure? Every PAL DVD player I've seen can play NTSC discs and I would suspect that the opposite is true too (they are probably the same players anyway).