Any Gamers here?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone here play video games? I am a video game fanatic and I have been playing them for a very long time. I would like to talk to some fellow gamers on this forum. That wouldbe cool.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I play games a lot. Some on my Mac, more on my PS 2.

Just for kicks I'm playing Tomb Raider 1 in OS 9 on my Lime iMac. I picked up a bundled version of the first 3 TRs a while back but never got around to playing them.

I also still fire up Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Age of Empires 2 and Starcraft sometimes.

On the PS2 I'm playing Legends of Wrestling Showdown, NCAA '05, and Spider-man 2.

I'm looking forward to the new Madden, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and the next WWE Smackdown game.

I'll look into more current Mac games when I get around to upgrading.

J
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I play some, I have been trying to cut back though, I still keep up with the latest game news though.

I'm really looking forward to NBA street volume 3 which I've been reading about lately.

And the next zelda looks really awesome.

On the PC, I play Savage exclusively.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I have been thinking about getting myself a console, but alas the time I have available each day is minimal. Getting heavily into a game that effectively sucks weeks/months out of your existence is not something I can do
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Get a Gamecube. They're a good deal at $99 USD.

I'm a gamer too since the NES days. Right now I own an Xbox, a Gamecube, a Gameboy Advance and a Mac.

On the mac I play The Sims or Sim Tower, mostly.

On the consoles I love EA games. Madden and NBA Street Vol. 2. NFL Street is a great treat too. I like multiplayer games too. Simple ones like Super Monkey Ball or shooters like Quake 3 Arena. I loved that one on the now-defunct Dreamcast.

I'm looking forward to getting Madden 2005 and I'll take a look at the Nintendo DS once it is released later this year. It's gonna get released in America before it comes out in Japan. A first for Nintendo.

I've also looked into the possibility of buying a used Virtual Boy on eBay. I'm still not decided on that. It was a sweet machine. A failure, but it's like nothing out there today.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Im a gamer, consoles plus tv does not equal games on a computer. If you are on a budget i understand. This may sound shocking but after hearing that Doom3 wont be out for Mac for "awhile" i canceled my G5 machine and went straight to the top of all gaming platforms. Alienware Aurora with a 6800 in it. im very excited about Doom3 and some flight simulaters. Apple just doesnt have the marketshare nor the power in most of its machines for these developers to get behind the platform.

Here apple is pushing those pods and you know the young crowd is eating them up but then look at the gaming side and apple has nothing for these same folks who are gamers. look at imac/emac? all they need is a decent video system but Apple will have none of that. a Mac gamer has to be one very patient person.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Im a gamer, consoles plus tv does not equal games on a computer. If you are on a budget i understand. This may sound shocking but after hearing that Doom3 wont be out for Mac for "awhile" i canceled my G5 machine and went straight to the top of all gaming platforms. Alienware Aurora with a 6800 in it. im very excited about Doom3 and some flight simulaters. Apple just doesnt have the marketshare nor the power in most of its machines for these developers to get behind the platform.

Here apple is pushing those pods and you know the young crowd is eating them up but then look at the gaming side and apple has nothing for these same folks who are gamers. look at imac/emac? all they need is a decent video system but Apple will have none of that. a Mac gamer has to be one very patient person.

dude, you got an aurora? well, uh, damn. sweet innards AND sweet case. they used to have a bad reputation for customer support, but it seems they have finally gotten the gamers to climb on board, and they are trying to fashion a corporate aspect to their lines to diversify.

basically, the only other machines out there i would buy other than mac would be alienware. hands down.

re: games, i can't recall the specifics, but i have a feeling that many of the new development tools, opengl support and underlying graphics engine work in tiger are all geared, at least in part, to make it even easier to create cross-platform games.

the only times in the past five years i have been truly addicted to gaming... like can't wait to get home from work and play and think up strategy WHILE i work sort of addiction... were diablo ii and deus ex (the first one, not that pretty piece of trash sequel they made)
  • Reply 7 of 19
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I've said it once, I'll say it again: Escape Velocity!

I rock at Escape Velocity. I also use it as a measure of how drunk I am. It's too bad I can't play it online in a deathmatch, because everyone else is sure to lose.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

dude, you got an aurora? well, uh, damn. sweet innards AND sweet case. they used to have a bad reputation for customer support, but it seems they have finally gotten the gamers to climb on board, and they are trying to fashion a corporate aspect to their lines to diversify.

basically, the only other machines out there i would buy other than mac would be alienware. hands down.

re: games, i can't recall the specifics, but i have a feeling that many of the new development tools, opengl support and underlying graphics engine work in tiger are all geared, at least in part, to make it even easier to create cross-platform games.

the only times in the past five years i have been truly addicted to gaming... like can't wait to get home from work and play and think up strategy WHILE i work sort of addiction... were diablo ii and deus ex (the first one, not that pretty piece of trash sequel they made)

I hope Apple will correct their problems in the future but if the leaked specs on imac are true then this means more of the same. Its a shame the best platform is so behind in the gaming world but what can you do. Any Alienware area 51 users or Aurora users out there? i know its a mac site but when you talk Doom3,Ut2004,Halflife2....... there is only 1 machine thats rated #1 by many many sites and its Alienware. Return to Castle Wofenstein has been one of my all time favorites but with the expansions not making it to Mac well. no more waiting and wondering
  • Reply 9 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Gamers? are you crazy? there are no Mac gamers, macs can't play games!

</common misconseption>

Fact is that 9.994 out of 10 systems at best buy or comp USA can't play games either, just had to get that off of my chest.

As for me, I look forward to playing unreal 2k4, and maybe doom3 when I get the money to replace my current and very old rig with a Mac, but for now, it is quake 3 for me
  • Reply 10 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If I were to buy a new console, I'd go for an Xbox, for Halo and Halo 2 if nothing else.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

a Mac gamer has to be one very patient person.

Indeed. When the Sims 2 comes out, it will probably take a LONG while before Aspyr ports it to the Mac. If my PowerBook won't be able to play it I might try to save enough for a competent e/iMac. They should be much better by the time The Sims 2 comes out.

I had to go through the same waiting period for Sim City 4. It was the same fo the Sims.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

If I were to buy a new console, I'd go for an Xbox, for Halo and Halo 2 if nothing else.

I was a big Xbox supporter. I own the console. Bought it a couple of months after the launch. So I've had it for a while. Recently the unit has gotten somewhat buggy. It says discs are dirty when they really aren't. Refuses to play a game or maybe two. I'm not satisfied with the long term quality of the system.

I may limit my next purchase to either a Playstation 3 or the Nintendo Revolution.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    You dont get better for gaming then a please excuse me "Aurora" from alienware. they are the best bar none for top AAA gaming.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 134member
    playing games only on the pc!

at the moment it's Morrowind, didn't have much time before...won't have much time soon either, as our second kid is on the way....

anyway, used to play games lots...network games since there were network games hehe Loved Doom when it just came out. Now looking forward to Doom III
  • Reply 15 of 19
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    What make alienware better than anyone else? Perhaps it's because they place ads in the magazines that rate them. That's usually a big one.

Any moron can go to new egg and throw together the latest x86 machine with the latest whizbangs. What makes that worse than an Alienware PC? It costs half as much, and neither alienware cases or a limp warranty (even dell's famed warranty aint that great) aren't worth a grand for sure.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    But they look very cool and they spare you the trouble of building the PC yourself. They're a good treat.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 134member
    Splinemodel has a point, but for the ppl who are afraid of touching a screwdriver... it's prolly the best solution.

Every pc i had, was 'homemade' As probably many others
  • Reply 18 of 19
    All i can say is i looked at a lot of reviews, from different Pc game sites and publications and a major flight simulator site and there was a common theme and that was the Alienwares were top rated. I could have bought all the componets and made one but my wife owes me big time and said she would buy my next system so i only had to decide what to get. They are pretty cool outside and laid out nice on the inside. take a lookhttp://www.alienware.com/ one thing i find Awesome is you can order the machine just for you,color and every componet inside. Ill still be a Mac user just not a Mac gamer anymore.