Asking a lot.. (windows software advice)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know it's asking a lot of a Mac user group.... but since I don't trust anyone else's opinion....here it is anyway.

Does anyone know of a simple and *free* software to convert .tiff files to .pdf on a PC? I have a scanner that only scans to Tiff and only works on my PC. I need to convert the images into PDF while still on the PC and I'd like to do it with a freeware app.

Thanks for any help!

(PS, I think the rumor about the new handheld is bogus)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Open Office can save files as PDF. It can also open TIFF's. And its free. It also runs on Linux, Mac (X11) and Windows.

http://www.openoffice.org
  • Reply 2 of 3
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Would it be too much trouble to scan the images on your PC, move the .tiff's to your Mac, and save them as PDF's in Preview/Photoshop?GraphicsConverter/whatever? I bet you could figure how to do it from the command line via SSH (with a little AppleScript maybe), so you don't even have to get up from the PC.

PDF capability isn't usually associated with freeware, since I think there's some licensing fees that have to get paid to Adobe. You might be able to find a non-crippled demo version of something on google.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    CutePDF Writer is freeware and uses GNU ghostscript libraries (yes, on windows) ... I would *think* it would work for TIFF files but I haven't really tried it for image-intensive stuff.