What would you change if you were in charge at Apple?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's what I would do. All these changes make perfect sense and I don't understand why Apple doesn't make them:

1. Slightly redesign eMac into a new affordable iMac

2. Introduce new mini Powermac G5 tower as a prosumer model with prices ranging from $799-$1299

3. Introduce 17" cinema display and budget 17" and 19" flat-screen CRT monitors

4. Lower Powermac prices by at least $200-300 on every model and make 512 MB RAM and ATI Radeon 9600 XT standard

5. Introduce new iPods with removable batteries and a 60 GB model

6. Make a phone/PDA combo compatible with OS X

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

Here's what I would do. All these changes make perfect sense and I don't understand why Apple doesn't make them:

2. Introduce new mini Powermac G5 tower as a prosumer model with prices ranging from $799-$1299

4. Lower Powermac prices by at least $200-300 on every model and make 512 MB RAM and ATI Radeon 9600 XT standard

5. Introduce new iPods with removable batteries and a 60 GB model

Any other ideas?

Oh, and lower Powerbook prices until the Powerbook G5 comes out.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    I'd port over more apps to windows including iPhoto.

I'd release all X.? updates free. (only paying for full versions)

I'd fire all the original designers of the iBook.

I'd hire everyone away from Microsoft who used to work for Bungie.

I'd go make friends with Sony for future PS2 mac integration.

I'd call a meeting of the press and tell them that we were no longer having expos in Paris.

I'd send more free stuff to MacAddict and make them once again a reliable source for new mac stuff.

I'd create a division around upgrading and maintaining older systems. (a paid service at Apple Stores)

I'd hire the guys from xlr8yourmac.com and make the site professional and Apple owned.

I'd create a new media position to be the liaison with the rumor boards who had some power to give credible information.

I'd publish a full page ad in the NYTimes, WS Journal, and USA Today announcing the death of windows and the birth of real OS X as the summit of perfection, then I'd dare M$ to debunk that.

I'd hire a portion of Symantec's staff to integrate antivirus and anti-ad technology into the OS at a root level.

I'd bring back the idea of a 'cube' and I'd offer a first ever software piracy amnesty to invite users to pay for their software at a discounted price in exchange for support and future upgrades.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    i'd make sure i had a business plan, executives, and staff in place so that if anything happened to me, my company would continue to grow in the manner of my vision.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:

Oh, and lower Powerbook prices until the Powerbook G5 comes out.

so if you owned the company you'd immediately make it LESS profitable.

smart.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:

By slightly redesign, do you mean make it flat screen (e.g. the current iMac with a price cut) or just rename it 'iMac'?

Quote:

Wouldn't this canibalise PowerMac G5 sales, and as they would make far less margin on the $799 model it would hammer profits?

Quote:

I'm not sure they could compete on price with existing 17" screen makers, without cheapening the quality brand. But then I can't understand why anyone buys Apples insanely priced displays.

Quote:

So they destroy the margin on the product, potentially pushing them from profitability into loss?

Quote:

5. Introduce new iPods with removable batteries and a 60 GB model.

Removable batterys could easily reduce the clean and simple form factor - Apple are unlikely to chance such an insanely sucessful product.

Quote:

Phone design and distribution is a multi-billion dollar, well established industry with tiny margins and established players, an industry in which Apple has no expertise. How would they make any money at this?
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

so if you owned the company you'd immediately make it LESS profitable.

smart.

Um, actually I would make the company more profitable. By lowering prices, I would make the products more affordable since msot consumers are most interested in lower prices now.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    I'd quietly recruit 20-30 programmers to spend the next 2-3 years developing the hell out of OpenOffice for OS X (not unlike the Safari effort).
  • Reply 8 of 45
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I would change my salary ...
  • Reply 9 of 45
    I would make naked time a company policy.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:

Um, actually I would make the company more profitable. By lowering prices, I would make the products more affordable since msot consumers are most interested in lower prices now.

wrong. you're running mercedes not general motors.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I'm glad you don't work at my company. I'd puke my spleen out
  • Reply 12 of 45
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Hey, there is no dress code. I'm sure these guys won't mind that dress code...
  • Reply 13 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    1. Regaining marketshare in edu would be my #1 goal. I would create a true edu Mac that was headless and very inexpensive.

2. I would aquire a networking company like Asante to create Apple branded networking products. Apple Intracore.

3. I would introduce a smallbiz Xserve which is $2000 including 10 client OSX Server.

4. I would introduce a 2U Xserve with 4 PCI Express slots.

5. I would create Apple Office with WP,Keynote, iCal 2.0,Cellblock(spreadsheet) and groupware.

6. I would deliver a full Quicktime implementation on Linux.

7 I would aquire the assets of Tivo.

8 I would aquire a 3D company(Luxology or Maxon)

9 I would beef up the Apple training and certification areas and make it more affordable.

10 I would ensure that I never shipped anything purposely crappy to hit price point.

11 I would make OSX very strong in cryptology.

12. I would make Quicktime the best scaling multimedia framework available from Set Top Boxes to computing servers.

13. I would serialize the OS and iLife and look to double my quarterly software licensing.

14. I would aquire a gaming company and focus on nifty Mac only games. Each new computer would come with a game from Apple.

15. I would deliver a smartphone.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    Quote:

I'd release all X.? updates free. (only paying for full versions)

10.1, 10.2, 10.3 were full versions and they cost money. all minor updates/patches are free

Quote:

I'd create a new media position to be the liaison with the rumor boards who had some power to give credible information.

they already give out credible information (every press release, product announcement, ...).

it may not be as much information as we want and it may not be available as soon as we want but it' there.

so this would just make everyone want even more information and even sooner.

Quote:

[i]

I'd hire a portion of Symantec's staff to integrate antivirus and anti-ad technology into the OS at a root level.[/B]

imho there's no need for that, since only browsers are affected by pop-up ads and most modern browsers do block ads.

it's just up to everyone to use one of these browsers. i'd like to see some kind of anti-virus system built in though.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    I would just make sensible hard-hitting adverts. The rest would sort itself out.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'd hire people to flood rumor boards with inane posts and infest it with people certain to trigger some enjoyable fights/arguments.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    it's really amusing how 90% of you apple fan boys have no clue as to what apple's role in the marketplace is.

you want to turn Apple into Gateway.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

wrong. you're running mercedes not general motors.

Stop comparing apples to oranges. It is a known fact that unless you are a gamer, people want to spend as little as possible on their computers and they go for the best deals.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:

Stop comparing apples to oranges. It is a known fact that unless you are a gamer, people want to spend as little as possible on their computers and they go for the best deals.

yes and those people have many makes and models to choose from.

and if you can't see the obvious comparison (which jobs coined, not me)

then you're clueless.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Step 1 Find out who is running the hardware division and fire them.

Step 2 Remove the 4 tier structure that has ran off all its marketshare, current structure makes sure that all models are crippled to the pro's big time and the consumer knows it. Introduce a build to order minitower that can be made to fit everyone with choice of cpu,gpu and extra's instead of the nonsense of trying to fit everyone into a stale crippled consumer all in one garbage or force them into Powermac. This crazy thinking has contributed along with hanging on to G4 in killing off the consumer line,marketshare and performance in all Macs.

Step3 get the consumer products(pods emac)& software out into consumer stores meaning walmart,sears,Best buy and lots of others. you cant sell to the consumer if you arent in any stores. Here in South Carolina not 1 Apple store, pretty hard to sell Apple products if there is no stores and no one carries Apple isnt. what are these idiots thinking. How the hell you grow your market when your product isnt in the entire state. this goes for a lot more states then just carolina.