Hilarious Real iPod Online Petition

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://www.petitiononline.com/r4apple/petition.html

Oh man, looks like Real isn't getting the groundswell of support they were hoping for with comments like:

"I would Rather pay twice as much just not to support Real."

They really need to get their interns busy filling in fake responses since the public isn't rallying to their side...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    This is my favorite at the moment

Quote:

Rob Glaser, Real networks

I declare that campaign over. We lost. Thank you for being so honest. We didn't realize, how stupid we are. Please stop laughing at us.

He he he
  • Reply 2 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Kinda funny

Quote:

399. Rob Glaser CEO Oh Steveo, please please please buy me an iPod.. Pink mini would be great, Thanks

• Reply 3 of 17
    Well, seems they finally caught on:

PetitionOnline.com has temporarily disabled the display of email addresses for signatories who chose to make their address public.We have done this to reduce the spread of harmful new viruses which harvest email addresses from the web cache of infected computers. This will also prevent spammers from harvesting email addresses from this site.

There are only 136 signatures now.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Well, seems they finally caught on:

PetitionOnline.com has temporarily disabled the display of email addresses for signatories who chose to make their address public.We have done this to reduce the spread of harmful new viruses which harvest email addresses from the web cache of infected computers. This will also prevent spammers from harvesting email addresses from this site.

There are only 136 signatures now.

this is tthe email of the guy who wrote the petition:

[email protected]

die real.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I like Real and RealOne Player. But I guess this is too little, too late. Apple's not gonna let them get away with it.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    some of those responses on there .. LMFAO!

(sorry, sometimes toilet humour works for me)
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Brill - lets all get over there and send Robo packing
  • Reply 9 of 17
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The problem that I see with the Real campaign is its' overwhelming negativism. It wants to put down Apple (and ultimately users of the iPod) more then it wants to sell any advantage it has. It's fairly mean-spirited and unecessary.... WAIT A MINUTE! This is political season...... it fits in nicely with what's going on right now.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The petition title is a bit misleading. "Hey, Apple, Don't Break My iPod!" should really read, "Hey, Apple, Don't Break My Real Music Files!"

Real is trying very, very hard to look like the good little guy, and I think that if they keep it up, they will look like it to people, and thereby make Apple look like the bad guy. I'm still ambivalent about the whole thing myself, so while I think this approach is insidious, I can see some merit in the issue it ultimately raises.

The irony is that this call for freedom of choice is choice, so long as its Real music files. Also, I suppose it's ironic or at least inteteresting that the iPod platform here is treated like a monopoly, and the choice is with only the music files. It's sort of (not exactly)the old MS monopoly flipped on its head, where the hardware was comodity and the software platform was the momopoly. I mean, freedom of choice could involve choosing another music player, no? Not totally making sense. The day grows long.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    The funny part about this is that 99.9% of the signitures are sarcastic ipod users who in most cases gave a fake name, surely steve jobs himself didnt sign the petition, and the comments are great too.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The irony is that this call for freedom of choice is choice, so long as its Real music files. Also, I suppose it's ironic or at least inteteresting that the iPod platform here is treated like a monopoly, and the choice is with only the music files. It's sort of (not exactly)the old MS monopoly flipped on its head, where the hardware was comodity and the software platform was the momopoly. I mean, freedom of choice could involve choosing another music player, no? Not totally making sense. The day grows long.

this is VERY differant than MS, apple just has the best product, more people like their product, M$ used buy-outs, intimidation, threats, and bogus law suets to gain control, apple used a great product, and by definition, 70% of a market is not a monopoly (the last stat I saw said that $-wise apple ipod/ipod mini made up 70% of the mp3 player biz)
  • Reply 13 of 17
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    "this is VERY differant than MS, apple just has the best product,"

This is something I've thought about a lot since I've owned an iPod over the past year. I totally missed the boat on the portable music player market for a couple of years until I threw in an iPod with my new G5 last year. The day my iPod arrived I took it out of the box and held it in my hand for about five seconds and almost out loud to myself said "I get it." And the same feeling happened the first time I renamed and tagged some music with iTunes.

Apple has decimated the competition in the online music and portable player markets so far. And I keep asking myself every-time I see the latest retarded offering from another wannabe player in the computer music market come and go, "Is it really that simple? That Apple has just made the best product and is reaping the rewards from that effort?"
  • Reply 14 of 17
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    hahaha and now theres a petition against Real petitions... with, when last I checked, more sigs than Real's petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/notreal/petition.html

(EDIT: oops I see someone already posted a link)
  • Reply 15 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

this is VERY differant than MS...<snip>

Good points. You make me feel better.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Apple have always been about fair competition. I remember not being able to play copy-protected CDs on my Mac and now the iPod is so popular companies are making their software compatible with iPods. BUT this doesn't mean other companies should be left behind. I want a fair market where i can buy a song from anywhere and put it on anything. I am completely against Apple's stance on this. They are behaving like Microsoft, AAC is supposed to be 'open,' their digital rights management should be available to all.

Give me freedom to choose. I chose an iPod and a Mac, but that's not the point.

Edit: Now that I think about it Apple are NOT behaving like Microsoft, who would allow their files to played on everything and then have 95% market share. Apple are behaving like a spoilt child! BUT I don't want AAC on other MP3 players, I want an option of where I get my music from! Even though I'd still get it from Apple. I'm sure Steve has thought about it.