new computer...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm starting university in a month, and I am planning on buying a new lap top. (as you might have read, my ibook is broken)

I have been doing a lot of research on the Tibooks. Has anyone used G4 powerbook?; What are your opinions?

I will get the 800mhz with 60GB HD and 1 gig sdram if possible.

In most of the reviews, there is little negative feedback, except heat and scratchable paint problems.

Thanks for any feedback

[ 08-25-2002: Message edited by: Buff ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    [quote]Originally posted by Buff:

<strong>I'm starting university in a month, and I am planning on buying a new lap top. (as you might have read, my ibook is broken)

I have been doing a lot of research on the Tibooks. Has anyone used G4 powerbook?; What are your opinions?

I will get the 800mhz with 60GB HD and 1 gig sdram if possible.

In most of the reviews, there is little negative feedback, except heat and scratchable paint problems.

Thanks for any feedback

[ 08-25-2002: Message edited by: Buff ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK!

First of all I recoomend you checking out a very simiilar post that is all about powerbooks/iBooks vs desktop at uni and i think there is another post on powerbook/iBook vs a Dell..

Anyhow I am at university and am Using a Powerbook Ti 800Mhz with 512Mb ram 40Gb etc and it rocks! It is just perfect for me, the battery lasts a good time, the screen is perfect and frankly it can handle being bumped around (a bit) (Others will strongly disagree on that one)

With Jaguar installed it goes quicker than ever!!! I cant be bothered saying much more other than that the Powerbook truely rocks!

:cool:
  • Reply 2 of 8
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    If wireless is a concern, I understand that airport reception in the Tibook is not as good as the ibook. Otherwise, ya, the Ti is better. Not much else to say really.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    buffbuff Posts: 55member
    Cheers trevor, wormboy!

Do you have a link to the old posts?

I'm not familiar with Jaguar, what is it? and where can I read about it?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I am typing this on a PowerBook G4 667. THis is by far the BEST computer I have ever used. I worked at a Best Buy and brought in my PowerBook occasionally so I can do demo prints, and my coworkers were totally jealous, even though they make fun of me because I am a Mac guy. The TiBook had their jaws dropping. But I work for a production company now, and as far as graphics and video editing goes, it is by far superior to any other laptop out there. Awesome for gaming, graphics, pretty much anything. The screen is the most gorgeous display me or anyone else who has seen the powerbook has ever laid eyes on. It is SO light and SO thin people are in absolute awe at the sight of it. If you haven't figured it out, I just love the reaction I get when I pull it out of its sleeve. You may want to wait until Mac Expo in Paris, there is a rumor that new PBs will arrive. Just a suggestion...good luck...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Learn more about Mac OS 10.2 (<a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/"; target="_blank">Jaguar</a>)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    I also have a 667 DVI Powerbook, and am completely happy with it. I wish I could have a afforded the 800mhz, but they are pretty much identical except for mhz.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    They are pretty much the same except for MHz, but the 800 also includes an AirPort card as standard equipment.

I've heard, though, that the 800MHz isn't really a whole lot faster than the 667MHz. I think there's probably as great or greater difference between the old and new 667s than there is between the new 667 and the new 800, because of the better graphics card and the L3 cache.

Also, just in case you don't already know (you probably do know), you probably don't want to buy your RAM at the Apple Store. Get it from Other World Computing or ramseeker.com or something, or even Crucial. They have much better deals than Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    buffbuff Posts: 55member
    There is quite a big differnece in price of the 667 (with 256 mb +30GB HD) and the 800 (1gig ram + 60GB HD), so is it worth it?

The deal I am getting at the moment from a local authorised apple dealer gets me the 800 for about $3000, and the 667 is about $2000...

What do you think? I probably wont need that sort of speed, i am happy working on a G4 400, but it might be worth the extra specs in the next couple of years...