Bundling iLife with Tiger?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just like the original iLife was bundled with Panther when it was released, don't you think that the new iLife will be bundled with Tiger when it is released?

of course, that does bring up another question...

If Tiger is released in March of 2005, I suspect that a new version of iLife (iLife 05) will have already been released at MacWorld San Francisco in January. If so, I wonder if Apple will include this new version of iLife with Tiger or go with iLife 04?

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Mike,

I think Apple should do whatever is in their power to get as many people on Tiger as possible. The typical consumer doesn't know how deep Tiger goes and is liable to think it's just another overhyped OS release. This is definitely not the case. Apple should perhaps preview iLife 05 and announce that it will ship with Tiger for a limited time at no additional cost. $129 will get you a Tiger/iLife 05 bundle for say 3-6 months. Apple could then demo the expected features of iLife 05 and then start taking pre-orders after MWSF.

Apple needs the bulk of their 12 million OSX users on Panther or Tiger for developmental issues. They must do what they can to get their userbase here. I think Tiger is going to be necessary to really extend iLife to the next level. Speed and integration are needed more than adding a bunch of features IMO.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Just like the original iLife was bundled with Panther when it was released, don't you think that the new iLife will be bundled with Tiger when it is released?

Huh? iLife isn't bundled with Panther - it's bundled with a new Mac.

The old iPhoto was bundled with Mac OS X and iTunes is still free.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Huh? iLife isn't bundled with Panther - it's bundled with a new Mac.

The old iPhoto was bundled with Mac OS X and iTunes is still free.

When Panther came out, I thought that some of its advertised features included iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, and iDVD?

Mike
  • Reply 4 of 6
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Those apps you mention were not part of Tiger. They were already available in earlier incarnations. Apple decided to bundle them in a $49 (cheap) package. They were never part of the OS. As mentioned they came with new computers as well. Updates have been free.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I know that the original iLife package came out before Panther was released. I just thought that Apple just bundled all those new iApps into Panther and used that as one of its selling points.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    if the WWDC preview is an indication, only iTunes will be bundled with Tiger.