allofmp3.com

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey y'all, just caught this on The Screen Savers. Allofmp3.com is a Russian based pay for music site. They have a very large collection, and you can choose your compression and bitrate upon download. Better yet, songs cost a whopping $.01 per 1MB. An average CD of say 60MB (compressed) costs all of 60 cents! Questions of legality obviously arise... it is legal in Russia anyhow. Here is a link to a G4TechTV forum discussing user experiences. I like the fact that you can use paypal. I may just have to try this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I think I'm happy with appropriately compensating the artists through iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    You might as well get them from your favorite p2p app for free if you're considering allofmp3, IMO...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    welderwelder Posts: 10member
    Could someone remind me how much, on average, artists get from each iTMS sale, and why Apple removed "fair to the artists" from their website?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Welder

Could someone remind me how much, on average, artists get from each iTMS sale, and why Apple removed "fair to the artists" from their website?

The labels generally get around $.65 of every $.99. However Apple should have removed the "fair to artists" statement because the payment to artists comes directly from the labels and is beyond Apple's sphere of influence. The non monetary benefit of iTMS to labels and artists is demographics. Each purchase I make lets the Label/Artist know that one person in Seattle liked their song. Multiply me by 20 thousand and chances are Seattle gets added to the next tour. This is why allofmp3 is no better than P2P because they don't have a RIAA/ASCAP relationship.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Except for those of us who don't care about tour dates and concerts, allofmp3 still allows the label to get their money.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Except for those of us who don't care about tour dates and concerts, allofmp3 still allows the label to get their money.

How? Where's your proof that the labels are getting anything? Ok here's were common sense comes into play. Would a reasonable person believe that allofmp3.com was selling legitimate music after "knowing" that iTunes,Napster, Sony Connect and all the other services were pretty much aligned at $.99 per song. Why would allofme secure a better price than Apple? Dan I hope your naivete doesn't run that strong. You are paying your hard earned money for the equivalent of a Kazaa song. Hey if it makes you feel better to "think" you've done the right thing then go ahead but the silence here in this thread is deafening which means most of us likely don't support this.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    They may get some money but I seriously doubt that there's actually a contract between AllOfMP3 and the record labels. Does anyone else have any more info on the relationship between labels and AllOfMP3 ?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

How? Where's your proof that the labels are getting anything?

Please do your research before you blast me as being naive. I think a confirmation from the Russian government that says, " ROMS collects royalties in case of usage of copyrights and pays them out to copyright holders" pretty much says it all. Read the ROMS interview here. And an interview with allofmp3 here.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Again.

Licensing music is a *national* process. This is why iTMS is currently available in the U.S., UK, France and Germany, and nowhere else. It would not be legal in Japan or South Africa to buy music through, say, the French iTMS.

It is also *not* legal to buy music through a *Russian* site, like AllOfMP3.com, because they license for *Russia*. That is why their prices are a lot lower, because the Russian general financial situation is largely different (much lower salaries, etc.).

As someone said, you might as well get music through P2P.

Artists on average get a little over 10 cents of a song sale, btw. I don't consider that fair, but this is not Apple's fault. You think them getting much less than a single cent is better?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

[B]Again.

Licensing music is a *national* process. This is why iTMS is currently available in the U.S., UK, France and Germany, and nowhere else. It would not be legal in Japan or South Africa to buy music through, say, the French iTMS.

Which is very annoying for people who want to buy music only available in one country...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Mr. Chucker, thanks for the unnecessary lesson in economics. At this point, everyone who wished to view their opinion has, and it doesn't seem like anyone is about to change. Therefore, I see no reason to continue this discussion. Mods, feel free to lock it up.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    "Copyright holders" may actually only refer to song copyrights not the labels or artists.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I like allofmp3.com

If apple offered ITMS songs at bitrates other than 128kb i would consider buying music there, but I go through allofmp3.com so I can get my music @ 320kbps.