How to get dirt out of a Pro Keyboard?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What is the name of the tool/screwdriver that you need to open one of these damn Pro Keyboards?

I'm a relatively clean person, but the dirt, crumbs and hair that are now resting - as if in a display case - on the underside of my Pro Keyboard is revolting.

I'm also having sticky RETURN key problems no doubt because of this.

Ewwwww.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    i use a small glasses type screwdriver, it fits into the hex shaped screws on the case, you have to take your time and make sure it is in. the size is 1.4 (flat head).

Be carefull the case holds itself with some little clips along the bottom thease break very easily.

Once inside all the screws are cross heads.

hope this helps
  • Reply 2 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I use vacuum to suck out the dust inside the keyboard
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I do the same as johnrp, but I use an allen wrench to *properly* remove the hex screws. Don't forget to pop off the keys first!

Once opened up, I usually wipe it with a clean, slightly damp cloth. By the time I've put it all back together, any moisture that might have been on it from the cloth would have evaporated.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks everyone!

I wish Apple had used a more easily accessible screwhead!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    get a can of compressed air, and blow the crap out. works most of the time and is the fastest/easiest way to do this, unless you spilled a liquid in there that crusted on, in which case you have to take it apart.