GEEZ! Anybody wanna see if their OSX will croak like this?...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So I was hot-plugging my USB zip drive to my iBook running OSX 10.3.4. Prior to this, I had inserted the disk into the drive. I know I shouldn't insert the disk until after I plug in the USB line, but I figure, "wth, let's see what happens..."



BAAAMMM!!! computer is completely locked-up (cursor and all) and an ominous gray box with text is left in the middle of the screen telling me how to power-off by holding down the power key and restarting afterwards. This message was given in numerous languages, no less.



So does this kind of crash (gray box end of the line kind of message) have a particular name (similar to a kernel panic or other)?



So I wonder if this was just a coincidence crash or is it repeatable? I wasn't particularly interested in duplicating the problem on my machine. I'm just glad my computer booted up afterwards as if nothing ever happened. So anybody game to see if their OSX will crash'n'burn over this?



DO NOT DO THIS IF A COMPLETE CRASH WOULD PISS YOU OFF.



Lemme know...

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Randycat99

    So does this kind of crash (gray box end of the line kind of message) have a particular name (similar to a kernel panic or other)?





    that is what a kernel panic looks like these days, rather than just unix text poking through the desktop.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    on a lighter note...

    Why are you using a zip drive?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Ah, I guess I've finally seen my first panic. I was expecting something more fancy...
  • Reply 4 of 18
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I use a zip drive because it is what I have and it does the job just fine. What's the big deal?



    Is this something worth reporting, or pointless since no one would care about a zip drive in the first place? Is it possible that other sorts of (more modern) removeable disk drives could have a similar effect?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    mimacmimac Posts: 871member
    I've had similar experiences with a USB memory stick. Forgot to eject it before pulling it out.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    Is it true that network connections have to be ejected before unplugging too?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I have never had any Kernel Panic doing any of the above mentioned stuff...I frequently forget to unmount, eject, disconnect from several devices, networks, etc. I am not sure what the issue was, but that is just not cool...So, it may be a rare occurance, coincidence, but I have yet to have it happen to me, just so you all know, and I do this daily, and have been for the last four months...All that it says it that it can no longer connect, and asks me then to disconnect...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    do you have Norton installed? on some school computers that have norton installed all firewire drives gave the computers Kernel Panics. Including my iPod.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ika

    Is it true that network connections have to be ejected before unplugging too?



    I do, just to save time in stead of waiting for the OS to realize what happened. It locks-up for a few minutes, maybe one, and then asks if you would try to reconnect.



    _thedustin
  • Reply 10 of 18
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by thedustin

    I do, just to save time in stead of waiting for the OS to realize what happened. It locks-up for a few minutes, maybe one, and then asks if you would try to reconnect.



    _thedustin




    I must say that Panther handles it MUCH better than Jaguar did. Yes sir ree.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Randycat99

    I use a zip drive because it is what I have and it does the job just fine. What's the big deal?



    Is this something worth reporting, or pointless since no one would care about a zip drive in the first place? Is it possible that other sorts of (more modern) removeable disk drives could have a similar effect?




    I still think Zip Drives have their uses, I dont know why folks are so down on them. I loved my zip drive when I had it (it was SCSI so I cant use it anymore).
  • Reply 12 of 18
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    To answer an earlier post, I do not have any Norton software on my computer.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I agree about the zip drives, though. They're actually becoming obiquitous to the point where service providers will likely have one, if you are carrying some big files (talking about something a few MB's in size- obviously you would not use it to carry video files around into the 100's of MB or GB size). Though I guess the en vogue thing to use right now are those neat solid state keychain plugins. Just about everybody has a USB port for it these days. I don't have one and never really considered getting one, but then I am always a late adopter of stuff (extremely late ).
  • Reply 14 of 18
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I find it much more convenient to access my data directly from my computer, as almost everywhere I go where I need my data I have a fast connection to my computer. Or a burned CD will do...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by steve666

    I still think Zip Drives have their uses, I dont know why folks are so down on them. I loved my zip drive when I had it (it was SCSI so I cant use it anymore).



    Zip drives were great when introduced in '94. They never took off as the floppy disk successor they were meant to be though.



    Nowadays, a USB stick does the same job better, cheaper, and with much more capacity.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chucker

    Zip drives were great when introduced in '94. They never took off as the floppy disk successor they were meant to be though.



    Nowadays, a USB stick does the same job better, cheaper, and with much more capacity.




    A USB stick is not cheaper. You can get a 100Mb zip disk for about $10. A 128mb stick is about $40.

    The USB stick is easier to transport around but its not a replacement for a zip drive if you use the zip alot.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    CD-RW and even DVD-RW is cheaper...



    It's still a PITA though with +/- nonsense. That and fucking DVD-RAM. It's ridiculous. I hope with the next standard, HD-DVD, we won't have this again, with Blu Ray vs. HD-DVD or whatever.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    jasocojasoco Posts: 73member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Randycat99

    Ah, I guess I've finally seen my first panic. I was expecting something more fancy...



    What do you mean "More Fancy"? It's the best most prettiest damn "Your computer is Borked" message any OS even has. It can't get any prettier.
Sign In or Register to comment.