When was the iMac ment to be announced

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know it was ment to be in september somtime but was there a date?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The new iMac was meant to be introduced a little over a month ago according to the following from the Apple website:

Apple then announced at the quarterly analyst meeting last month that it would contain a G5 chip. That is all they said. Guesses (or hopes) are that it will be unveiled at Apple Expo in Paris on August 31 when the keynote address is made by Phil Schiller who will be standing in for Steve Jobs who is recovering from cancer surgery.

• Reply 2 of 9
    11 days!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    It looks like the date may be delayed again. I heard that IBM is unable to deliver enough chips on time. Perhaps Apple should consider the capabilities of its suppliers before contracting with them. If they can get the dual core chips from Freestyle, they might be able to salvage something from this mess.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Well, seeing as Freescale (who's Freestyle?, watching too much Olympic swimming) isn't producing any of these RUMORED dual-core chips, I think the fact that IBM is MAKING SOMETHING a very positive thing.

Also, IBM switched from 130nm to 90nm, and it spent 1 billion (as in a 1 followed by 9 zeros on the Fishkill Plant where these things are made).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Sorry about the name. I guess I have been thinking of the Olympics a bit. All I can say is, I hope IBM gets their delivery problems solved and Apple can get onto the business of selling the world's best computers. I wonder if the G4+ chips will do anything for Apple. They're being touted as the interim chip for laptops until the heat problems can be solved with the G5.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Freescale chips are probably not meant for personal computers anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    There will be no delays on introducing the new iMac in Paris. Supplies will be constrained for a while. As far as Apple "choosing" another supplier... well they have no choice. They switched to IBM 'cause Motorola, their previous main supplier of chips, was stuck at a certain point in development and MHz yield. Developing next generation chips is not like making cookies. Problems do arise during ramp up and manufacturing. Motorola/Freescale is months away from ramping up the new chips... October has been mentioned. That would mean January 2005 for full fledged manufacturing and availability, assuming problems don't pop up. Intel has also had trouble migrating to 64 bit chips. AMD as well, although they have had better luck.

Apple did not anticipate the problems that IBM would have in getting proper yields on G5 chips. All of this is old news, these problems, and has been addressed on many threads here at AI as well as press releases and discussion by Apple execs and others. At this point all the "finger pointing" has been done. It's now time to wait for 10 or so days and see what transpires.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I think Apple's original plans in 2003 were to bring out the 90nm chips on the PM around Feb/Mar 04 with the iMac rolling out a month or 2 later. The impact of the fabrication problems at IBM would have been severe under this schedule. I have to give Apple credit for working through the fab problems with IBM and pushing out what they can get as soon as they can.

As for the G5 iMac, I think they are going to be harder to get than an iPod mini within a week or two after their launch. If you really want one it's going to be wise to order one on the day they are announced - which is what I am going to do. (Been waiting since January to get one!)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

As for the G5 iMac, I think they are going to be harder to get than an iPod mini within a week or two after their launch. If you really want one it's going to be wise to order one on the day they are announced - which is what I am going to do. (Been waiting since January to get one!)

Which isn't bad at all. Look all the press coverage the iPod mini got because Apple couldn't keep up with demand.