Duke Freshmen And Freshwomen Get Their iPods!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Yup, they received them yesterday. Upper classmen (and women) were not pleased. Here's the story.







iTMS will be available on line for the students.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    mmmmmm college girls. I get older...they stay the same.



    I heard there were Univ of Washington students getting iPods for class work too. I'll have to check into that and see it it's true.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Bastards!



    Oh well, they have to contend with being stuck at U of NJ, South Branch, I guess they deserve some perks.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Do a lot of people from NJ go there
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    OH yeah. Duke wants nothing more than to be a Real Goshdarned Ivy League School... even if they have to fake it.* It's seen down here as the school that NE kids come to if they can't quite manage a *real* Ivy League school, but their parents make enough that it'd be embarrassing if they went to a public school. And yeah, for some reason a lot of them are from NJ.



    And oh my, do they have the attitude to match.



    *The stone steps to Duke Chapel were installed pre-worn, to give it an air of age and respectability.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Duke freshman get iPods; Duke photographer gets woody.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I wonder what will happen when the first Duke freshman gets into a accident while being oblvious to his or her surroundings while listening to the iPod while walking on campus or off. Hopefully, it won't be fatal (being hit by a car or bike) but an episode would cause some parents and teachers to say... this was a bad idea. The iPods are dangerous. No more. Take them away
  • Reply 7 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

    I wonder what will happen when the first Duke freshman gets into a accident while being oblvious to his or her surroundings while listening to the iPod while walking on campus or off. Hopefully, it won't be fatal (being hit by a car or bike) but an episode would cause some parents and teachers to say... this was a bad idea. The iPods are dangerous. No more. Take them away



    When that happens, I'm moving to Australia.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

    Yup, they received them yesterday. Upper classmen (and women) were not pleased. Here's the story.







    iTMS will be available on line for the students.




    every upperclassmen received 10 free iTMS downloads from Apple in an e-mail.



    My friend sent me her's.





    Duke is a better school than most Ivy's. Not fair to say it's a wannabe and not up to par.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by applenut

    every upperclassmen received 10 free iTMS downloads from Apple in an e-mail.



    My friend sent me her's.





    Duke is a better school than most Ivy's. Not fair to say it's a wannabe and not up to par.




    So is MIT, and many other schools... but they don't *TRY* to be an Ivy league school so hard that they look silly doing it. "ooh! ooh! us too!"



    It's a matter of trying to be something you're not, and looking pathetic in the process. Duke's a good academic institution... if they'd just lose the snobbery (which has nothing to do with the academics), they might earn some respect. As it is, they come across as the jock from the wrong side of the tracks who keeps wearing the wrong kind of khakis around the prep kids... they're all just snickering at him, but he thinks he's cool. Sad thing is, he's the only one that can't see it. Even the geeks are laughing behind his back.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha

    So is MIT, and many other schools... but they don't *TRY* to be an Ivy league school so hard that they look silly doing it. "ooh! ooh! us too!"



    It's a matter of trying to be something you're not, and looking pathetic in the process. Duke's a good academic institution... if they'd just lose the snobbery (which has nothing to do with the academics), they might earn some respect. As it is, they come across as the jock from the wrong side of the tracks who keeps wearing the wrong kind of khakis around the prep kids... they're all just snickering at him, but he thinks he's cool. Sad thing is, he's the only one that can't see it. Even the geeks are laughing behind his back.




    someone's bitter



    MIT students live at Harvard. Their campus is an eyesore.

    Stanford is the same way.



    That's how those schools are. Yale is no more legitimate than Duke. Duke is more Ivy than Penn or Columbia.



    All the top schools are snobby. It just goes with the territory.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha

    So is MIT, and many other schools... but they don't *TRY* to be an Ivy league school so hard that they look silly doing it. "ooh! ooh! us too!"



    It's a matter of trying to be something you're not, and looking pathetic in the process. Duke's a good academic institution... if they'd just lose the snobbery (which has nothing to do with the academics), they might earn some respect. As it is, they come across as the jock from the wrong side of the tracks who keeps wearing the wrong kind of khakis around the prep kids... they're all just snickering at him, but he thinks he's cool. Sad thing is, he's the only one that can't see it. Even the geeks are laughing behind his back.




    I think all Ivy league schools have that snooty tag that gets handed out to them as freshmen. I know when I attended Missouri Valley College it was really hard to contain the heavy social responsibility associated with such greatness

    By the way I recently installed some pre-worn wooden floors in my house but it wasnt to add an air of time honored tradition or age = smarter or better or even richer (certainly not the case) it simply looks good
  • Reply 12 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by applenut

    someone's bitter



    Hardly. I just can't abide pretentiousness. Some people aspire to it though, the poor pathetic slobs.



    Quote:

    All the top schools are snobby. It just goes with the territory.



    Hardly. Some have this thing called 'class', and it has nothing to do with being a top school, any more than it has anything to do with being rich. Ever hear the term 'new money'?



    *shrug*



    To get back on topic: I think the iPod-on-campus idea is pretty slick, and having lectures and such as audio files on a campus-only iTMS is *brilliant*. So is having each unit preloaded with useful info for new students. Seriously, this is a fantastic program.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha

    Hardly. I just can't abide pretentiousness. Some people aspire to it though, the poor pathetic slobs.



    To get back on topic: I think the iPod-on-campus idea is pretty slick, and having lectures and such as audio files on a campus-only iTMS is *brilliant*. So is having each unit preloaded with useful info for new students. Seriously, this is a fantastic program.




    I also think this is a great idea and feel a little like I received the short end of the stick....we didnt even have A/C in our rooms at the honors hall and these kids are getting iPods. Oh Well good for them.
Sign In or Register to comment.