classic loser

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi..

I'm new to this forum and have a confession. I love classic environment. I've held out as long as humanly possible. I've been freelancing for years and have been able to exist w/ OS9 forever... until now. I'm working for a magazine and must upgrade tp OSX. I've spent all day researching online and at the bookstore. I found some great books about Panther and Jaguar and can download tomorrow. I've also spent all afternoon burning cd's and backing everything up.

::MY QUESTION::

Should I hold out for Tiger?

When is it coming out.. how much will it run?

If I download Panther can I upgrade to Tiger?

Any and all advice would be appreciated..



thanx.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by h_illa

    Hi..

    I'm new to this forum and have a confession. I love classic environment. I've held out as long as humanly possible. I've been freelancing for years and have been able to exist w/ OS9 forever... until now. I'm working for a magazine and must upgrade tp OSX. I've spent all day researching online and at the bookstore. I found some great books about Panther and Jaguar and can download tomorrow. I've also spent all afternoon burning cd's and backing everything up.

    ::MY QUESTION::

    Should I hold out for Tiger?

    When is it coming out.. how much will it run?

    If I download Panther can I upgrade to Tiger?

    Any and all advice would be appreciated..



    thanx.




    Tiger will not be out until sometime next year. You can expect it to cost you $129 US or $69 US at the education rate.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Or free if you go to your college campus computer store.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Get Panther. It's awesome.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by h_illa



    If I download Panther can I upgrade to Tiger?

    Any and all advice would be appreciated..



    thanx.




    Since when does Apple offer a download version of Panther? You're not saying that you're getting paid to work in OS X, but you're not going to pay for said OS X, are you?



    I won't lie and say I've never downloaded software before, but I've never stolen software that I use professionally, and that includes the OS.



    OTOH, if this is a legitimate OS download then ignore my rant.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Get Panther, for crying out loud. And do it legit.



    This whole "warez" culture has created an entire generation of people who genuinely freak out (and get offended) at the notion of *gasp* paying for something.



    As for waiting for Tiger, Apple says it'll be out in the first half of 2005. If you follow this kind of stuff AT ALL, you know damn well that means "June 30, 2005".







    So no, I wouldn't wait nearly 10 months for Tiger.







    9 is dead. Sorry, that's just so. When Apple, Microsoft and Adobe are no longer developing for it or catering to it, then that's a really good sign that it's maybe time to move on and embrace the new.



    I only wish I could get my co-worker/supervisor to see it that way...







    Anyway...



    It's not as though OS X Panther sucks or is somehow "lacking". It kicks OS 9 down one side of the street and up the other. It kills me to have to sit in front of OS 9 eight hours a day at work...



    I rush home to my Panther-running PowerBook and give it a hug.



  • Reply 6 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Which is more painful? Using Windows XP or OS 9?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NittanyLionTosh

    Or free if you go to your college campus computer store.



    Free? What campus store gives it away for free?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Scott

    Which is more painful? Using Windows XP or OS 9?



    My vote would be OS 9. It just isn't stable enough for me. I unpacked my brand new TiBook from its box in Feb, 2001. 2 hours after startup, OS 9 hard crashed. The only software I had added was Airport base station stuff. After the third time this happened (this was my first day with Apple products) I zero'd the harddrive and installed everything from scratch. OS 9 was more stable after this, but each program I used after this (IE, iMovie, iTunes) I had to tweak how much memory they used in order for everything to work well together.



    I especially love the feature that once you've started programs 1,2 and 3; if you quit program 2, that RAM can't be used again until you quit program 3. What a pain in the butt...



    The reasons I got the TiBook was for long battery life, and the UNIXy goodness of OS X (for my CS work). The month I was stuck with OS 9 was one of the longest months ever, computing-wise. I went to OS X on 3/24/01 and haven't looked back since.



    OS 9 sucks.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pscates



    It's not as though OS X Panther sucks or is somehow "lacking". It kicks OS 9 down one side of the street and up the other. It kills me to have to sit in front of OS 9 eight hours a day at work...



    I rush home to my Panther-running PowerBook and give it a hug.







    I'd be happy if I had OS9 at work... I have to look for 8+ h a day into a Windoze machine....



    But this way, you can enjoy the OS X equipped PB even more. I'll give mine a hug as well.



    durin
  • Reply 10 of 22
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by durin oakenskin

    I'd be happy if I had OS9 at work... I have to look for 8+ h a day into a Windoze machine....



    But this way, you can enjoy the OS X equipped PB even more. I'll give mine a hug as well.



    durin




    Yea, it's certainly nice to come home from working on a Dell at work all day and get coding on my PowerBook.



    Hurray for OS pushers smart enough to give dev tools with their OS!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Scott

    Which is more painful? Using Windows XP or OS 9?



    I'd have to vote for OS 9. See, you go into it expecting Windows to suck, so your whole expectation thing is calibrated accordingly.



    But OS X has, in a weird sort of way, really made OS 9 look like the clunky, outdated, unstable, buggy, patched-together mess it is...and that hurts a little more, coming at it from a Mac using perspective.



    You don't WANT your OS to suck, but you're suddenly facing the realization that it does, thanks to OS X. So yes, OS 9 truly is more painful to use than Windows XP. Only because I expect - and want - so much more than it gives me, and just tends to act weird and flaky for no apparent reason, often ruining my day in the process.



    Kinda like my last girlfriend.







    One of those funny things in life. Not "haha" funny, mind you...







    OS 9 = psycho girlfriend who's more trouble than she's worth and has zapped your will to continue



    OS X = hot newly-divorced MILF across the street...the possibilities are endless, and thinking about them all is half the fun.



    Yes, that's a technical analysis...
  • Reply 12 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BRussell

    Free? What campus store gives it away for free?



    Some schools have site licenses for OSs and software, and you can get the packages for a pittance, if not free. Office is $10 here at UNC.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    'Classic loser'.



    I thought you were talking about Apple there for a second...



    Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 14 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Scott

    Which is more painful? Using Windows XP or OS 9?



    I use MacOS X at home, but at work I use MacOS 9 all day long. For all the college kids complaining about MacOS 9, it works. It is virtually virus-free. Windows XP is the least secure OS ever developed.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kickaha

    Some schools have site licenses for OSs and software, and you can get the packages for a pittance, if not free. Office is $10 here at UNC.



    Any student can get it for that? Office is free for my campus computer, but I've always had to pay full (educational) price for an OS.



    [edit]Actually I take that back, I've gotten OS upgrades for maybe around $50-60 instead of the $69. But I wasn't aware there were any campuses that had it for free. That's quite a deal if true.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Sorry to mislead anyone.. i plan on paying for the software.. i'm a tech novice and thought that you could download it from the apple site. thanx to all of you... and a little more research i've found that i must go and purchase the disc. i also need some extra memory and will be doing that tomorrow. for my purposes i need osX so that i can be compatible w/ all the other people i work with. you've also helped me to decide on panther. it's more than i need and why wait for tiger when i've already existed with classic for so long?



    SO FEAR NOT.. i pay for my software.. i like the support and upgrades that are available..



    thanx and wish me luck on installation.



    anyone find fontbook a hassle?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by h_illa

    Sorry to mislead anyone.. i plan on paying for the software.. i'm a tech novice and thought that you could download it from the apple site. thanx to all of you... and a little more research i've found that i must go and purchase the disc. i also need some extra memory and will be doing that tomorrow. for my purposes i need osX so that i can be compatible w/ all the other people i work with. you've also helped me to decide on panther. it's more than i need and why wait for tiger when i've already existed with classic for so long?



    SO FEAR NOT.. i pay for my software.. i like the support and upgrades that are available..



    thanx and wish me luck on installation.



    anyone find fontbook a hassle?




    Sorry for snapping at you then. I saw the light a few years ago when I decided to go for a CS degree and haven't downloaded (stolen) any apps since then. When I read download I figured you knew there wasn't a downloadable version so my bad. You know what they say about people who ass-u-me.



    Definitely get OS X. It's worth it, IMHO.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Hey good luck with panther, you're gonna love it. Moving from 9 was a scary thing for me. I didn't want to do it, I wasn't a big linux stud and the whole concept of learning stuff all over again didn't appeal to me. I used the public beta of X and wasn't super impressed. After that I waited months and months, almost never booting into X until a friend bullied me into switching once and for all.



    I can't tell you how glad I am that I did. The crashes stopped, along with the weird memory leaks. They were replaced by weeks and weeks of uptime. And each rev of X has just gotten better and better, and panther is definitely the best of the bunch.



    I can't agree more with the folks upthread that said that switching made them realize how clunky 9 was. I loved 9 at the time and didn't want to leave it, but now when I look back, wow, what a piece of crap. Of course, it was a far better piece of crap that its windows counterpart, and that, I suppose was the whole point of being a mac user back then, dunno.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by h_illa

    Sorry to mislead anyone.. i plan on paying for the software.. i'm a tech novice and thought that you could download it from the apple site. thanx to all of you... and a little more research i've found that i must go and purchase the disc. i also need some extra memory and will be doing that tomorrow. for my purposes i need osX so that i can be compatible w/ all the other people i work with. you've also helped me to decide on panther. it's more than i need and why wait for tiger when i've already existed with classic for so long?



    SO FEAR NOT.. i pay for my software.. i like the support and upgrades that are available..



    thanx and wish me luck on installation.





    Good luck! It's an adjustment, you'll find, but a good one.



    You may want to check out this section of Apple's web site. David Pogue also has a very friendly and excellent book if you find a good manual a relief. But most of all, don't be afraid to play, try things, and ask questions. OS X, just like OS 9, rewards you the more you play.



    Quote:

    anyone find fontbook a hassle?



    For a modest amount of fonts, it's pretty good. For a very large collection (or intensive design/layout), it can be a hassle. I wrote my detailed experience of it here, if you're interested. My exp. and conclusion is at the end of thread.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Leppo

    I loved 9 at the time and didn't want to leave it, but now when I look back, wow, what a piece of crap. Of course, it was a far better piece of crap that its windows counterpart, and that, I suppose was the whole point of being a mac user back then, dunno.



    I guess the best way to look at this is like this:



    Mac OS 7, 8, 9: Red Apple \



    Mac OS X: Golden Apple



    Windows Flavor: A big turd





    Believe me when I say this, I have been a strong advocate of the Mac ever since 1984, and it has always gotten better and better (for the most part). Mac OS X truely is the pinnacle of computing, with an easy to use interface, and a strong back end to deal with the horsepower.



    I can't even say that WinXP even has any of those....
Sign In or Register to comment.