hip-e

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Once again they are trying to imitate Apple.

Hip-e

I especially like this quote:

Quote:

I think what Apple did with iTunes and the iPod is great. But that's just one application," he said. "We are doing that -- on steroids. It's all of these applications, all on one platform".

Won't they ever learn.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    i kind of prefer this one:
    Quote:

For instance, users can click on "paper" to launch Microsoft Word, "create a presentation" to launch PowerPoint, or "burn CD" to open a CD-copying program.

this sounds like its doomed to fail to me. is there anyone (maybe except the average 60+ computer illiterate person) who doesn't know what microsofts office apps do ? later on they call teens the tech gurus in todays families and expect them to like a renamed windows xp ? btw. that's not what apple did with itunes and the ipod.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    How on Earth did this company get funding?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Will it jump into a dumpster if I click on the trash can?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Check the specs on it. People unhappy with the rumored iMac specs could head over there and bitch about some confirmed crappy price/performance ratios (for a refreshing change of pace ). That thing lists for $1699!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Check the specs on it. People unhappy with the rumored iMac specs could head over there and bitch about some confirmed crappy price/performance ratios (for a refreshing change of pace ). That thing lists for $1699!

That is the problem really! I mean we are talking teenagers here, the same kids that want to play games on their computer, not hook up their console to play games, though it is nice to have that functionality. Add to that the price that they are expecting the teenagers to pay and you have a real problem. Teenagers are very fickle, which the article points to, and that is the problem with catering to them, look at Abercrombie's numbers for proof of that. Which is why I have never gotten really upset with Apple for focusing in on those with money, and the well-to-do. While others want Apple to bring out a bargain basement computer, look at what a PC company trying to bring the Apple concept to the masses is unable to do with regards to price. I think this should clue a lot of people in as to associated costs with ease of use and R&D. I have nothing against this computer, it could be worse, but I just don't see it as a successful product until the specs increase a lot or the price drops a lot for their target market.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    My favorite quote from the article.

Quote:

One brand name that resonated was Apple Computer Inc., which has struck gold with its iPod music players and iTunes download service. But the teens said their parents resisted buying Apple computers because they don't run Windows, the platform most people are familiar with.

Don't people realize a different company with a different processor type won't run windows. They also don't realize there is VPC. There ignorant. They won't try anything new. Which I don't blame because parents aren't most of the time tech savvy(basing it off my parents and friends parents). They don't want to try new stuff. Even though Macs are better then windows in security and thats the #1 issue for parents.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Before I respond, let it be known that I'm a HUGE Apple fan and zealot. I cannot do my job without using Apple products.

Regarding hip-e: Believe it or not a lot of money was spent on research and focus groups around the nation. The product specs, the features, the custom software, the retooling of the Windows interface and the aesthetics were all tested, re-tested, and tested again.

Several marketing and research firms have all set the ideal price point. While I believe it's a bit high, the market data (the same data Apple uses) proves this is the sweet spot.

I would know, I work for Digital Lifestyles Group. While I have very little involvement with the hip-e team (I'm the creative director for the Northgate division), they have been very faithful to keeping teenagers in the design loop. This, of course, does not insure success with the teen demographic, we have done our homework, the product and it's price are genuine.

BTW, the same vendors that supply nearly every component for PowerMacs and iBooks are our vendors.

Note: I was a bit shocked when I learned that the CEO used Apple as the model to characterize the hip-e product line. We never bring up or mention Apple at all around here (with the exception of "ewww, you use a Maaaac!" line). I learned about the Apple comparisons when I read the press release myself.