Mac & PC Networking

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a Dell Desktop that is my parents which is connected to a cable modem 24/7 and a tibook 550 which is connected never... i would much prefer to use my mac but don't know how to properly network the two and what exactly i should buy to do so. i also plan on getting a e or iMac soon(6-18mo.) that will need to be in my room thus wirelessly networked just like the tibook.

what should i buy and where....after i get that info maybe someone can tell me about the HOW part...

INQUIRY

PS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Get a router. You can get one for less than $100. Then connect the cable modem to the WAN port on the router, then connect each computer to an open port on the router. The TiBook will auto-configure. Your PC should as well, but you may need to tweak settings to automatic.

It really shouldn't be that tought, and your ISP may have basic instructions on their tech support site. Just search for 'router'.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Yeah, it is cheap. Are wired routers as cheap as wireless ones? If not, you could get a cheap $20 wireless router that has wired ports to use. This is pretty simple. I'm sure you can figure it out, and you'll enjoying having both machines on the net!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Yeah, it is cheap. Are wired routers as cheap as wireless ones? If not, you could get a cheap $20 wireless router that has wired ports to use. This is pretty simple. I'm sure you can figure it out, and you'll enjoying having both machines on the net!

Read as: You can enjoy surfing the net on your TiBook while watching your PC drown with worms! (blatant stereotype, I know)

I would hope wired only routers would be cheaper then a wireless + 4 port router, but that's me.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

you could get a cheap $20 wireless router that has wired ports to use.

20 bucks... where please!!!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Read as: You can enjoy surfing the net on your TiBook while watching your PC drown with worms! (blatant stereotype, I know)

I would hope wired only routers would be cheaper then a wireless + 4 port router, but that's me.

How does wireless with a PC mean worms???
  • Reply 6 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

How does wireless with a PC mean worms???

Just plain internet with a PC means worms.

(...and spyware and viruses and trojans)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    0o0 i see