ATI 9000 or 9700 worth the upgrade

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I had inquired about upgrading my nVidia Geforce 4MX video card to the Geforce 4Ti version, I was unanomously told that it would not be worth the upgrade.

Do you feel the same about upgrading to the new ATI 9000 or when it's released the 9700?

I have a Powermac Quicksilver 933Mhz with 1024mb of ram and running OS X 10.2

I'm just trying to squeeze the last bit of performance as I'm skipping the just released Powermacs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Radeon 9000 Pro is in the same class as the GeForce4 MX, but it's newer and better. It's not worth upgrading to if you already have a GeForce4 MX. The Radeon 9700 is a major upgrade though...too bad the Mac retail product is slated for release after the holiday season.

If you're patient...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ..i tried out a 933 mhz

NICE!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Hey blang I have almost the same setup! Only difference is that I have 768 megs of RAM and am waiting for fvcking Apple to ship 10.2! I wouldn't upgrade to the 9000 Pro because it's way to close to the same specs to be worth the money. Also by the time the 9700 comes out their might be something better from Nvidia. I still think I'm going to stick with ATI after this for the sole reason that it has better full screen DVD/video playback.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nvidia.....gf3 should be fine

not sure about osx but i have nvidia cards running

on win32 & linux & they make the best drivers

out there & their attn to quality really shows
  • Reply 5 of 7
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Their driver quality under OS X is far worse.

I'd recommend anyone to wait until nVidia and ATI have both released their next generation.

Ie GF5 and some souped up 9700 variant.

G-News
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Yes I agree the 933Mhz is fantastic, I don't feel I'm missing anything by not having a dual processor.

I've had good luck, everythings worked great from day one (hope I'm not jinxing it) and it's quiet!

I's also damn fast, this is why I've decided to skip the current machines.

You wouldn't go wrong with it, especially at $1200!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The radeon 9000 pro is better than the 4MX, by a 30 to 40 % factor, it looks like a geforce 4 ti 4200 aproximatively. But it dont worth a upgrade.

The radeon 9700 will be a monster , but will be expansive. A radeon 9500 is scheduled some times after, it will be a slighty less performant version of the 9700 with a much better prize quality ratio. It could be the good choice in the future.