virtual pc 7

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Are there any beta-testers out there that want/can to say anything about virtual PC 7 performance?

official MS link

"Virtual PC 7, which is compatible with the Mac G5, offers important improvements in speed, graphics performance and user interface."

I hope "graphics performance" means I can run some CAD software I will need this fall (AutoCAD / Solid Works).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

Are there any beta-testers out there that want/can to say anything about virtual PC 7 performance?

official MS link

"Virtual PC 7, which is compatible with the Mac G5, offers important improvements in speed, graphics performance and user interface."

I hope "graphics performance" means I can run some CAD software I will need this fall (AutoCAD / Solid Works).

It appears that MS is now shipping VPC7. No need to ask beta-testers anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Regarding graphics support, the Mactopia web site barely touches upon graphics. If you dig and look around there is a brief mention that intense graphics-dependent games will probably not work with VPC 7 and your Mac. I wonder, though, if you use a dual G5 + VPC 7 with the nvidia 6800 ultra card, could you run doom3?? and have it playable -- I mean the PC version!!!. So much for native graphics card access.

Also, I wonder if Mac Doom3, when it comes out, will run on a new G5 iMAC.

\
  • Reply 3 of 15
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adeutsch

Regarding graphics support, the Mactopia web site barely touches upon graphics. If you dig and look around there is a brief mention that intense graphics-dependent games will probably not work with VPC 7 and your Mac. I wonder, though, if you use a dual G5 + VPC 7 with the nvidia 6800 ultra card, could you run doom3?? and have it playable -- I mean the PC version!!!. So much for native graphics card access.

Also, I wonder if Mac Doom3, when it comes out, will run on a new G5 iMAC.

\

Even if VPC could use your Mac's video card (which it probably can't according to rumors and you seem to be aware that it probably can't), Doom 3 uses a huge deal of the CPU (which would be emulated under VPC)...

So no...Doom 3 would not play...no chance in Mars/Hell.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    rara Posts: 623member
    No, no he was asking about the Mac version of Doom III, which, according to Apple, will run on the new iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

No, no he was asking about the Mac version of Doom III, which, according to Apple, will run on the new iMac.

His first Doom 3 question did refer to Doom III on VPC 7.

Kim kap sol: According to this Macminute news, VPC7 will use the graphics card in some capacity... though I wouldn't expect that it would be usable for running games.

http://www.macminute.com/2004/08/31/vpc7

Quote:

The MacBU says that Virtual PC 7 also offers:

Better graphics handling by taking advantage of the graphics processor on the Mac. Screen redraws are purportedly speedier and graphics are more responsive.

Fast Save, a feature that lets Virtual PC users close the app with the click of a button, saving the PC state in the background.

Easy installation. Virtual PC 7 boasts a setup assistant that guides the user through the installation process.

Easy printing. Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) users won't need to install special printer drivers; they can simply choose to print from any PC application and the file will automatically print to the Mac's default printe. There's no setup required.

Expanded preferences and settings. Sounds, toolbars, shortcuts, memory and Dock inclusion are now found in the new application preferences and virtual machine settings.

Extra help. In addition to the new Getting Started guide, users can take advantage of the Mac's Help System and access an expanded system that offers both task- and feature-based help.

• Reply 6 of 15
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Does it take advantage of dual-processor G5's?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

His first Doom 3 question did refer to Doom III on VPC 7.

Kim kap sol: According to this Macminute news, VPC7 will use the graphics card in some capacity... though I wouldn't expect that it would be usable for running games.

http://www.macminute.com/2004/08/31/vpc7

Well everything that is displayed on screen uses the graphics card "in some capacity"...in this case it's only being used to increase redraw speeds...this is *not* the graphics card use they were talking about late spring which was going to accelerate OpenGL or DirectX from within the VPC environment.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Sorry to bring here the bad news guys. Just read this.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Sorry to bring here the bad news guys. Just read this.

Bad news? How? Is it bad news that ants show up at a picnic? Is it bad news that you get your feet wet in the rain? VPC is an emulator, people. VPC for the Mac is intended for Mac users who need to run a few Mac-only applications. You may wish to use VPC like a hardware PC, but wishing does not make it so.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Bad news? How? Is it bad news that ants show up at a picnic? Is it bad news that you get your feet wet in the rain? VPC is an emulator, people. VPC for the Mac is intended for Mac users who need to run a few Mac-only applications. You may wish to use VPC like a hardware PC, but wishing does not make it so.

How about wishing that companies don't charge for updates that bring zero significant changes to software?

It's bad news that Microsoft is charging for something that isn't faster. But if it's good news to you...buy me a copy.

Heck...even the fuckin' in-app icons haven't changed and still have the OS 9 feel to them.

To think we all waited for this.
  • Reply 11 of 15

Just as I expected. Conventional Wisdom told me that MS would not make much of an effort to speed up VPC. Let's be honest the only reason why the aquired Connectix was to control VPC. They didn't care about the other products. MS is not your friend people. They'd rather you just go buy a PC and leave your Mac alone.

• Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Just as I expected. Conventional Wisdom told me that MS would not make much of an effort to speed up VPC. Let's be honest the only reason why the aquired Connectix was to control VPC. They didn't care about the other products. MS is not your friend people. They'd rather you just go buy a PC and leave your Mac alone.

I hope nobody falls into the trap...only G5 users should buy this (if and only if they *really *really* need it)...

...or pirate it. Ok...never mind...I didn't say that.

But nobody should get this. Money to Microsoft for what should be a free point release is bad.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I'll just keep using VPC on my G4 and G3. Sure it is slow. But:

1. I don't need to use it that much. (If at all anymore.)

2. It slowly and painfully reminds me how much I would rather be using OS X.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Anyone know if they are still using an S3/Trio graphics card emulation which has no DirectX capability?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Connectix also have valuable virtual machine technology. Virtual PC isn't their only product.