Ensuring my Powerbook's longevity?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My PB G4 1.5Ghz is my first Apple and I want to do everything I can to keep it's hardware and software in good working order.

What are some tips to ensuring it's longevity both in terms of not breaking it as well as extending to the furthest extent it's "in-datedness?"

What have you done to keep your investment in such technology as long as possible? Do you have a plan for upgrading the hardware?

How long have you kept a computer even past it's scheduled working life?

How long have you kept a piece of technology in good working order and daily usability?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by jessearl

My PB G4 1.5Ghz is my first Apple and I want to do everything I can to keep it's hardware and software in good working order.

What are some tips to ensuring it's longevity both in terms of not breaking it as well as extending to the furthest extent it's "in-datedness?"

What have you done to keep your investment in such technology as long as possible? Do you have a plan for upgrading the hardware?

How long have you kept a computer even past it's scheduled working life?

How long have you kept a piece of technology in good working order and daily usability?

I have a 15" powerbook and the only 2 pieces of advice I would give you (mistakes i've made) would be to always let the battery run out completely before plugging the charger in to ensure better battery life in the long run. the second would be to purchase one of those carrying sleaves to insert your notebook into when carrying it in a backpack or shoulderbag. I find that the longer I go without one the more my notebook begins to look worn and scratches start to show up. Excellent Purchase though!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    So if you use the laptop at a desk, it's best to keep it unplugged and let is use battery power? Or should I keep it plugged in all the time? I have an iBook though.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    osxosx Posts: 34member
    Ya, I just bought a PowerBook to and always keep it plugged in at the desk, does this matter or do I need to keep it out until it needs to be recharged? Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 5
    exactly, otherwise it builds a memory on the charge and after time you will only have 1.5 hours of battery time instead of what you are supposed to have.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    osxosx Posts: 34member
    Thanks alot, I will now wait until my battery needs to actually be recharged