Whats this HP iPod?

osxosx
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So what is Apple getting in the HP iPod deal that they just showed off today? I have been reading about it the past couple weeks but why would Apple let HP do it? I missed something

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Apple announced this deal in January. It enables them to sell maybe 75% more iPods then they could themselves. They made a deal that has HP also including iTMS/iTunes and Quicktime on every desktop consumer computer HP sells. HP buys the players from Apple. HP has appx. 20% of the PC market. Win-win for Apple. This subject is being discussed in Digital Hub.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OSx

So what is Apple getting in the HP iPod deal that they just showed off today? I have been reading about it the past couple weeks but why would Apple let HP do it? I missed something

The real question you should be asking is "why wouldn't Apple let HP do it?" There's no downside to it.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    The real question is why doesn't it work for Mac? It is a direct copy. Why doesn't hp make it compatible with the mac. So mac users are screwed if they see the hp ipod somewhere that the apple ipod is not and buys the hp ipod.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    The iPod on HP's homepage is white. I thought it was supposed to be blue?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mooksmooks Posts: 8member
    The one-off protype was blue-grey, but the new HP iPod is virtually identical to the Apple version, save having the HP logo on the back (along with the Apple logo).

You'd think they would have wanted some differences so you could see easily that it is an HP version, but who cares? Apple is coming out on the better end of this deal. More iPods for the masses, more money for Apple. hee hee
  • Reply 6 of 12
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    quagmire. HP is a Windows OS company for consumers. They wouldn't post that their iPod would work with Macs. It probably will if you download the Mac software. But if you're concerned, buy an iPod from a Mac reseller. As soon as the players are released next month, a definitive answer will be available as to Mac-compatibility. Keeping it white may have been Apple's decision. iPods are known as white players. Keep the caché and increase visibility 50 fold. Blue ones may not have been considered "iPods".
  • Reply 7 of 12
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Off to Digital Hub...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Smart idea from Apple - kept us all guessing...

iPod is iPod no re-branding - re-design (BLUE) or watering down the original concept - a great friendship between HP and Apple...

Dell will wish they'd spoke Apple first on this one - then again Apple probably didn't want to talk to them...

This really is a smart move for Apple as so many of my Windows friends are STILL unconvinced my iPod won't with their PC..?

Ren
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

quagmire. HP is a Windows OS company for consumers. They wouldn't post that their iPod would work with Macs. It probably will if you download the Mac software. But if you're concerned, buy an iPod from a Mac reseller. As soon as the players are released next month, a definitive answer will be available as to Mac-compatibility.

iPodlounge confirms the hPod is the exact same device with the exact same Mac compatibility as the Apple version. The ONLY differences are the packaging, set up manual and the HP logo on the back.

"Tech-savvy users will likely believe that HP's changes to the iPod hardware are only skin deep. Mr. Ralph said that although the HP logo will now appear in addition to Apple's on the back of HP-distributed iPod hardware, "other than that, the physical components are all the same." From cables to Docks to earbuds, the Apple iPod from HP will use all of Apple's parts, not HP's.

But the differences, including new packaging, manuals, and a poster, are intended to make the iPod even easier for first-time digital music users to enjoy. "The user guide is very Windows-centric," said Mr. Ralph, "so we can talk to the Windows-based consumer." Noting that HP's research suggested that new iPod users needed more help ripping CDs and transferring music to the iPod, Mr. Ralph said that a "setup poster we have is the first thing you see when you open up the box; in a single page you let the consumer see how to connect it up [and easily use the iPod]." And unlike Apple, HP will recommend use of the included USB 2.0 cable for music transfers, given the smaller penetration of the FireWire standard in the Windows PC market. Software in the HP box will be identical to Apple's PC installers for the iPod.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    hp is also giving the option of downloadable skins for the hPod, where you can download different colored or themed skins for it for free, but you must buy the stickers to paste it onto the outside of the hPod, but i'm assuming since the hardware is identical, it will work with the regular iPod, which is an interesting idea. either way, apple consumers and the company itself wins. good times
  • Reply 11 of 12
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rendezvous

Dell will wish they'd spoke Apple first on this one - then again Apple probably didn't want to talk to them...

Dell doesn't have the retail presence that HP does so it wouldn't have been as beneficial to Apple. Dell used to sell iPods online until they introduced their own player in an attempt to compete. I wonder which one made/makes them more money.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Whatever company sells them, every iPod sold is a victory for iTMS. Bring on more partner companies, double quick!

Even though iTMS has dominance in the music store business right now, Apple should not be content to rest on their laurels. With the amount of cash Microsoft is likely to pour into this field, they can do big things. They were not that far from succeeding with the XBox, and IMO that (console enterntainment) was much farther from their core skills than music store business, which is more of a commodity market. The best insurance that Apple has against losing music marketshare is to cut margins on the cheapest iPods. Unless something really weird happens, an iPod buyer is guaranteed not to buy from Microsoft music stores. If Apple doesn't get greedy now, they will have a much greater prize in the long run, when they retain and even strengthen their marketshare and everyone else has to play by their standards.

Not to mention the best possible iPod advertisement is a friend with an iPod...