30" Cinema Display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Along with a G5 2.5 I am waiting for a 30" display. Last I heard they were "on the way" but no dates have been assigned. I'd love to hear any words (hopefully encouraging) about them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Apparantly there is a shortage of 6800 cards:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...m=668009465631
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Apparantly there is a shortage of 6800 cards:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...m=668009465631

That explains the G5 and from what I've seen the 6800's should be rolling soon but my anxiety level will go through the roof if I get the G5 and no new display. No one seems to have a handle on where the 30" display's stand.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1douglask

That explains the G5 and from what I've seen the 6800's should be rolling soon but my anxiety level will go through the roof if I get the G5 and no new display. No one seems to have a handle on where the 30" display's stand.

I'm using this time now since my G5 2.5 shipping delay was announced to squirrel money aside for a 30" monitor. I'm actually about 1/3 of the way through the funds for a second 30" now, so once the 2.5 arrives I'll probably be able to spring for two of these babies. It's going to rule.

• Reply 4 of 18
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    WOW!!! What are you working on that would need 60 inches worth of screen space. I have a new 23" and I thought that was a lot.

8)
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by AWILL

WOW!!! What are you working on that would need 60 inches worth of screen space. I have a new 23" and I thought that was a lot.

8)

Well, there's a number of things I'd like to try out. Having ordered the 6800 card, I'd like to see just how Pro Tools looks on 2x30 inchers. For music the longer timeline the better, so that would be great I'd bet. The other monitor could be used for the mix, plugins, console, session setup etc windows. Being able to see everything ALL the time would be a huge plus. Under normal circumstances I have to constantly hide some windows and then open them again when I need them. To be able to see everything at a glance would definitely be perfect. Currently I use a 20" Apple and a 19" Sony flat screen.

Apart from my work stuff, I can't wait to try running games on a 30" with 6800. I bet that would kick some ass. Doom 3 on a dual 2.5 with a 30" monitor? Sounds exciting to me...
  • Reply 6 of 18
    That's all simply wonderful but the topic of this thread is delivery of the 30". If you want to talk about how wonderful it'll be when it comes please start your own topic.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

That's all simply wonderful but the topic of this thread is delivery of the 30". If you want to talk about how wonderful it'll be when it comes please start your own topic.

You tell 'em, 1douglask. Don't let anyone else mess up your 'please congratulate me on my 30" display' thread...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Please accept my sincere apologies. I let my enthusiasm get the better of me, but in future will be sure to remain on topic.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by dglow

You tell 'em, 1douglask. Don't let anyone else mess up your 'please congratulate me on my 30" display' thread...

Well dglow, it's interesting that you read that into my most simple question asking for delivery information. Grow up.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by auslander

Please accept my sincere apologies. I let my enthusiasm get the better of me, but in future will be sure to remain on topic.

Thanks and if you hear any rumors about these being delivered I'd love to hear about them!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Brief: Apple begins selling Power Mac G5 in Taiwan

Celia Lin, Taipei; Steve Shen, DigiTimes.com_[Tuesday 24 August 2004]

LCD monitors for the Power Mac G5, manufactured by LG Electronics, will be available in 20-, 23- and 30-inch sizes, said the sources. Although the 30-inch monitor was presented at the conference, it will not be available until September, the sources noted.

http://digitimes.com/NewsShow/NewsSe...A8&query=APPLE
  • Reply 12 of 18
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Well dglow, it's interesting that you read that into my most simple question asking for delivery information. Grow up.

Dude, relax. Your thread topic is '30" Cinema Display', and you asked for "words (hopefully encouraging) about them [30" Displays]".

I thought auslander did just that, that's all.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Beijing Mac News_:_BIRTV Expo Begins in Beijing -- Apple Attends

Posted by yandfeng on 2004/8/25 23:57:26

However, the most important item at the meeting were the two gargantuan 30-inch displays, released at WWDC 2004. Apple staff said that these were one of the very few (if not the only) 30-inch displays in China.

http://www.beimac.com/modules/news/a...hp?storyid=119
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

If you ordered them together, they should be coming together.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

If you ordered them together, they should be coming together.

I did and I sure hope your correct. With the chaos surrounding the G5 2.5 and the 6800 the lack of news of any one getting a 30".......I just have no confidence.

I was advised by my vendor that Apple's physical quarter ends September 30. Experience tells him Apple will ship everything that isn't bolted down before that for their earnings report to stock holders. His interpretation? I'm gonna get some and very possibly all. Hearing someone received a 30" would be confirmation that they are in fact shipping.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

• Reply 17 of 18
    Some Good and BAD news!

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0408briefly.html

August 28, 2004 - The new iMac G5 is to blame for continued delays in dual-1.8GHz Power Mac G5 shipments. Reliable sources inform Think Secret that virtually all 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 processors that Apple is receiving from IBM are going into new iMac G5 systems, leaving customers looking for the most affordable G5 tower with a bit of a wait.

Separately, Power Mac G5 2.5GHz shipments continue to fall far short of demand. New orders are not expected to ship until late September or early October. Additionally, shipment for new orders of the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL video card, required to drive Apple's 30-inch Cinema HD Display, have been pushed back to late October, although the display is still set to ship in mid-September.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Well, it seems I'll likely have the display LONG BEFORE I can use it!

Problems hit MSI Geforce 6800 Ultra

The forum, here, details a number of experiences with the card with garbage being displayed on screens.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17887