Left earbud distortion, blown out? (new 20GB iPod)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I started noticing that there seems to be more distortion on the left ear bud of my MONTH old 4G 20GB iPod when playing songs as the volume is louder. My brother has the exact same iPod but the earbuds on his do not seem to have this problem (I've compared both, swapping earbuds, etc.). I'm afraid my left earbud may be blown out, is this suppose to happen a month after having it? I don't even play songs at maximum volume because the loudest setting is TOO loud and takes away from the quality of the sound. Since I still have the warranty since I just bought it on 7/27/04, if I call and tell them my story, is it possible they may just send me new earbuds? I know it's not the files that are damaged, or anything to do with the iPod itself (everything else works as it should), but the left earbud doesn't sound as well as the right.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments,

--Daniel

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    the earbuds are not covered under warranty...

I would suggest getting the in-ear headphones.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

the earbuds are not covered under warranty...

I would suggest getting the in-ear headphones.

actually, douche, they are.

just go to http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

and fill out the form, and tell them what's going on with your headphones.

you'll get a new pair in three days.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    no need for the personal attack...

That policy must have changed. I have tried to get earbuds replaced on more then one occasion (with different iPods) and had been rebuffed each time. But according to this
    Quote:

One of my iPod accessories isn?t working. Can I order a replacement?

Yes. Complete the iPod service request form on our website. You may be charged for the replacement accessory, local taxes and $6.95 for shipping, if your iPod is no longer covered by Apple?s warranty.

Wall Plug: $17.00

Firewire Cable: $19.00

Headphones: $17.00

Power Adapter: $49.00

it looks like a judgment call to me. They may replace it, they may charge you.

Edit: relevant warranty passage:

Quote:

This Limited Warranty applies only to the iPod and iSight products manufactured by or for Apple that can be identified by the "iPod" or "iSight" trademark, trade name, or logo affixed to it. This Limited Warranty does not apply to any non-Apple hardware product or any software, even if packaged or sold with the iPod or iSight product. Non-Apple manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers may provide a separate warranty for their own products packaged with the iPod or iSight product.

link

the earbuds don't say iPod on them, do they?...

So, like I said it is a judgment call. But technically they are NOT covered under warranty.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Mine (40 GB) does the same sometimes, just in the left ear. But I've found that if you take it out of your ear and blow into it that usually fixes the distortion problem. YMMV, but that tip might save you from having to get the earbuds replaced.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    iPod earbuds are 100% replaceable... i've had distortion problems (i think the speakers inside get loose) in every pair (now onto my 4th iPod... sold the old ones)... and each time, i have gone to that depot page and filled out the form. New buds arrive in a few days; no request for the old ones back either. Don't live with bad buds, get them replaced. AFAIK the replacement ones are only covered for 90 days...

good luck
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks guys, seems like getting them replaced wont be such a difficult thing. I'll fill the request out tonight.

Thanks again,

--Daniel
  • Reply 7 of 7
    out of curiosity, how did this pan out?