which scanner do you use/recommend with 10.2??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i am currently of the firm belief that i will never be able to use my umax scanner with os x.....since i never go back to os 9 i am needing a new scanner....what do you use or recommend that i can use right out of the box with Jaguar??? thanks g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I traded my Umax Astra Scan 6400U for a Epson Perfection 2450 Photo, and am extremely pleased with it.

The Epson scanner has FireWire connectivity, and even though the drivers are still in the beta stage, they already are pretty mature, and work flawlessly with Photoshop.

Just FYI, when I import from TWAIN in Photoshop, the Epson utility does a preliminary scan to see what document it is, and then adjust the settings accordingly. Scan quality is very good. How's that for automation?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>i am currently of the firm belief that i will never be able to use my umax scanner with os x.....since i never go back to os 9 i am needing a new scanner....what do you use or recommend that i can use right out of the box with Jaguar??? thanks g</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know how serious you are about scanning, but I recommend the VUESCAN scanner drivers. They allow me to use my cheapo Astra Firewire scanner and the results are good. The software has a lot of features and works well with a lot of different brands of scanners. It's not free, but then again neither is a new scanner and most likely this software makes your old scanner better than a new one with bad drivers.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    <a href="http://consumer.usa.canon.com/scanners/csl30/index.html"; target="_blank">http://consumer.usa.canon.com/scanners/csl30/index.html</a>;

The NEW Canon LiDE 30 1200x2400 is only $99 and works exclusively off the USB power supply. There is no AC/DC connector. IE it is extreemely efficient. very light small and handy. I got one for a friend and she loves it. It can do low res email scans with the touch of one button and automatically attach to your preset email client including OS X Mail.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>

I don't know how serious you are about scanning, but I recommend the VUESCAN scanner drivers. They allow me to use my cheapo Astra Firewire scanner and the results are good. The software has a lot of features and works well with a lot of different brands of scanners. It's not free, but then again neither is a new scanner and most likely this software makes your old scanner better than a new one with bad drivers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

From <a href="http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported"; target="_blank">http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported</a>;

[quote]

Unsupported scanners:

*\tAll parallel-port models

*\tCanon FS2720, D1230, D1250, D2400

*\tAll UMAX USB models except 3400 and 5400

*\tAll Microtek USB models except X12USL, 4700, 5600, 5700, 6700, 8700

*\tHP 3300, 3400, 4200, 4300, 4400 and 5400

*\tNikon LS-10

*\tAll Artec, Kodak, Mustek, PIE, Primax, Visioneer models

<hr></blockquote>

Perhaps his scanner is unsupported, just like mine. And besides, I do find it ridiculous to pay for drivers.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    my scanner is not yet supported by vuescan....would rather not pay for a driver, but if vuescan did support my umax astra mx3 i would buy it in a heartbeat....the canon looks nice but needs photoshop 7 to run naitve in os X...i don't have photoshop 7....perhaps i should get it, but it would really raise the cost of that 99 buck canon scanner if i buy 600 bucks of software to run it....g
  • Reply 6 of 8
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Tried many different brands and still like Epson the best.

The current driver, though it's still beta, works fine.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    thanks for the replys....what ever leonis likes is good enough for me which epson scanner do you use?? are you use 10.2 with the epson beta?

thanks g
  • Reply 8 of 8
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>thanks for the replys....what ever leonis likes is good enough for me which epson scanner do you use?? are you use 10.2 with the epson beta?

thanks g</strong><hr></blockquote>

What a compliment

I am using Pefection 1200 Photo which is over a year old. But it works fine for me.

If you aren't take picky go grab the Perfection 1250. I bought one for my friend's son yesterday and it works fine. Comes with a "film scanner" (but don't count on it much).....It's cheap (only $128 CDN) and decent in scanning speed. But no power switch :eek:

For driver. You will need to download TWAIN 5 Trial 3 from <a href="http://www.epsondevelopers.com"; target="_blank">www.epsondevelopers.com</a>

I can scan from any TWAIN compliant apps like Graphic Converter, Photoshop 7..... no problem

Of course I am running Jaguar. I hate to lag behind

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>