Specifics of current dual G5 components (HD, mem, burner, etc)?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I tried searching, but came up with conflicting information, so here goes:

Can anybody identify the major hardware components that Apple uses in their dual G5 Macs shipping today (let's say dual G5 2GHz model)?

I'm thinking of:

- 160 GB Serial ATA drive maker/model

- 250 GB Serial ATA drive maker/model

- Superdrive maker/model

- 256MB, 512MB and 1024MB PC3200 DIMM maker/model

- Airport Extreme card maker/model

- Bluetooth module maker/model

(obviously the video cards are more detailed in info, although I have no idea who actuall MAKES the cards, because it surely isn't nVidia/ATI)

I'm very interested, as I want to upgrade some of the stuff myself, but for compatibility and other reasons I'd like to know what's inside the machine already and what are the BTO-options exactly (i.e. who makes the components and which model is it?).

Also, does anybody know if there are component changes based on inventory flow and/or whether one orders from within EU or North America?

I'd appreciate confident ID on components and any comments of possible component variability.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    All this info is off a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz Rev. B about 8 weeks old.

1. Hard Drive = Seagate Barracuda 160GB (I bought an exact duplicate so I could run RAID 0)

2. RAM = Samsung (You have to install in Pairs so I have 2x256 from Apple)

3. Superdrive = Pioneer DVR-107D

4. ATI Radeon 9600XT

That's all I have. Got all that info as you can tell from System Profiler, if you need any more info let me know.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Thanks! That was very informative!

Does anybody have info on the 512MB and 1024MB chips? Are they still Samsung (and what latencies/voltages are specified for the modules)?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by halcyon

Thanks! That was very informative?

Does anybody have info on the 512MB and 1024MB chips? Are they still Samsung (and what latencies/voltages are specified for the modules)?

right now i have 2 256MB samsung chips, 4 512MB ramjet sticks, and two 1 GB ramjet sticks. all work perfectly fine.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    This stuff is standardized for a reason... so you don't have to worry about who makes it. (Except the Airport Extreme and Bluetooth modules, which are Apple proprietary.)
  • Reply 5 of 11
    At least the Airport modules used to be standard PC Card 2/ PCMCIA -type cards outsourced from the big names.

Are they still done like this or are they now chips surface mounted on the motherboard?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    AirPort Extreme is sort of like a Mini-PCI card.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Thanks!

Anybody know the maker/model of the card?

How about Bluetooth? Is it also a plug-in card onto the motherboard, is it a USB dongle or just a surface mounted chip?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

All this info is off a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz Rev. B about 8 weeks old.

3. Superdrive = Pioneer DVR-107D

Looking at the specs of the Pioneer DVR-107D -- it supports DVD+R/+RW media. Does that mean the superdrive does as well? I can't seem to find any supporting information on Apple's site and your system profiler screen shot only lists DVD-RW.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    it does, but not OS X.

You have to use Toast to use DVD+R/RW
  • Reply 10 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

it does, but not OS X.

You have to use Toast to use DVD+R/RW

Finder burning supports DVD+R/W with my DVR-108 (in a FireWire case).
  • Reply 11 of 11
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    interesting, they must have added that in one of the recent updates then.

RW is Toast only though still, isn't it?