Powerbooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What are the odds of a new powerbook in Paris?

Will it be a G5?

and whatever it is, will it be scaleable? and will it have centrino like battery life?

I say yes to all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I really doubt it. Too many official (Steve et al.) statements that we chould not be expecting a G5 PowerBook so soon.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I really doubt it. Too many official (Steve et al.) statements that we chould not be expecting a G5 PowerBook so soon.

Steve likes the art of shock (ala ONE MORE THING...) what a better way to catch everyone off guard? and when was the last time that an I or E anything has been faster than a POWER anything, short anser, ut hasnt happened, I don't see it happening now.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    If there is any "One More Thing..." type shock it'll be the statement, "We have availability and are shipping everything that I just announced today."

-Gator
  • Reply 4 of 21
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I have been waiting over three weeks for Apple to ship me a new 17-inch PowerBook.

A guy over at MacNN says that CompUSA told him Apple has discontinued the 17-inch PowerBook, and to sell remaining 17-inch PB stock at discount prices.

I don't know what to think.

I am hoping for an upgrade.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    apple is going to show the iMac in the states for sure...good thinking on that one... i dunno, many may feel the expo ads are talking about a supercomp in ur living room, etc. but it just doesnt sound apple enough for me (i know, i created a topic in future hardware about the whole thing) i just dont think apples gonna walk out with something we know about already... personally i believe Apple Rumors (the companys department, hehehehe) created that bs about not enough chips and so on to make us not predict the pb G5...i have a gut feeling apple already has stashs and stashs of chips already, that none of us know about...be prepared...

oh, and theres one more thing...
  • Reply 6 of 21
    For what it's worth, I just checked compusa.com and called my 2 area stores. They have a backorder for about 3 days, but no price discounts on the line have been authorized at all.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    The iMac could be unveiled in the States and in Paris at the same time. It's called iSight folks, video conferencing, Tommy.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Steve likes the art of shock (ala ONE MORE THING...) what a better way to catch everyone off guard?

True. Apple did exactly the same thing with the G4 in the PowerMacs.

Then again, that didn't really work out well...
  • Reply 9 of 21
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I think it has a strong chance for the G5 Pbook to show up at Paris. All evidence points to the next rev of pbook is G5. The pbook 7,1 and 7,2 and the MacRISC4 architecture. The numbers mean a new chipset and the architecture says G5 since all G5 machines currently out( Pmac G5 and Xserve G5) and the upcoming imac G5 use the same MacRISC4 architecture. The logical place for intro is Paris since by MWSF I am sure 10.3.6 will be out.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    maddanmaddan Posts: 75member
    I think it is much more likey that Freescale is ready to move the G4 (in limited quantities) to 90nm than we'll see a G5 Powerbook before next year. 1.8, 2.0 GHz, 1MB on-die cache sounds like a reasonable speed bump.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Apple has always been either honest with investors about product lineups, or they evade the questions altogether. If they say no G5 PB this year, I think it's safe to say that there will be no G5 PB this year.

Secondly, if they can't muster up enough chips for a timely iMac launch, they certainly can't do it for dual product launches. But that's neither here or there; it's not happening yet anyway.

A bump or other upgrade isn't out of the question, though, but it might be too early. Didn't they just do updates about 3-4 months ago?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

Apple has always been either honest with investors about product lineups, or they evade the questions altogether. If they say no G5 PB this year, I think it's safe to say that there will be no G5 PB this year.

Secondly, if they can't muster up enough chips for a timely iMac launch, they certainly can't do it for dual product launches. But that's neither here or there; it's not happening yet anyway.

A bump or other upgrade isn't out of the question, though, but it might be too early. Didn't they just do updates about 3-4 months ago?

When has apple told the truth about future products(except for imac G5)? Maybe they had a breakthrough and were able to solve the problems of the G5 in a notebook. A possible reason delay for the dual 2.0 Ghz Pmac G5 is that apple is storing up on 2 Ghz G5 chips for the 17" pbook G5 and high end 15" G5. The 1.8 Ghz goes into the high end imac G5 and low end 15" pbook G5. It is a theory.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    And remember that the iMac is basically a PowerBook in a desktop case. If it can get a G5, then so can the PowerBook.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

And remember that the iMac is basically a PowerBook in a desktop case.

No it isn't
  • Reply 15 of 21
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

And remember that the iMac is basically a PowerBook in a desktop case. If it can get a G5, then so can the PowerBook.

If there is a chioce between the IBM 970FX and a Freescale e600, I'd hope that they'd chose the e600. An integrated memory controller is a "Really neat thing (TM)" aspecially for laptops where mobo realestate is in short supply. And if they make that dual core model of it, then there is no question of who is the most desirerable IMO.

So here's to hoping for a dual core e600 speedbumped PB. My dad's contemplating on getting a PB as his next work laptop, and if the above came true I could easely use that and my evil powers of persuasion to "nudge" him in the right direction.

• Reply 16 of 21
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    In light of Apple's "supercomputer on desk... next??" advertising, perhaps it is considering further segmentation in the laptop line - keep the G4 range and offer a new form, very high end laptop - say a bigger 1.5" high case, high capacity battery (or two batteries), G5 etc. A mobile computer. rather than a laptop. In reality, it wouldn't be too far off the 8-10lb, beasts offered by Sony and Dell - only more powerful. Any comments?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

In reality, it wouldn't be too far off the 8-10lb, beasts offered by Sony and Dell - only more powerful. Any comments?

That's preciesely why they won't do it, and if they did, people wouldn't buy it.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Peter North

No it isn't

We don't know that yet, do we?

anyway the iMac I rev A,B,C and D used a Wallstreet mobo, the iMac II was build by a notebook manufacturer. So it's quit possible.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

What are the odds of a new powerbook in Paris?

Will it be a G5?

and whatever it is, will it be scaleable? and will it have centrino like battery life?

I say yes to all.

No way! Apple would've announced a web- and or satellite-broadcast by now if they were to announce something that big...

I know, I know, the iMac G5's going to be something big as well, but everyone expects it so it's not as HUGE as a PBG5 would be.

Greetings,

durandal
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by durandal

No way! Apple would've announced a web- and or satellite-broadcast by now if they were to announce something that big...

I know, I know, the iMac G5's going to be something big as well, but everyone expects it so it's not as HUGE as a PBG5 would be.

Greetings,

durandal

Dont be naive, the only reason there is no webcast is because it is 4 AM on the East Coast during the Keynote in Paris.