Rent Strike!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My apartment building is being bought out. Part of it is going condo and part is staying rental. Some of the people are pissed at the buyer for somewhat ligit' reasons. Nothing that can't be fixed though.

So there was a meeting tonight and some want to do a rent strike. They would send the rent in at the end of the "late" date. Apparently the monthly rental income report goes to the lending bank for the purchase and the tenants feel if they can show the rent is down then the numbers for the loan will be that much more off and no deal.

The new owner is planning on not hiring (aka firing) the current management. It also seems like he's done a bad job of managing all the personalities in this place. But maybe he had a good reason to get rid of the management and some people are just kooks.

Currently I'm planning on paying my rent on time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The real reason not to do it is that it's the current owners money. There's some sort of story about the buyer going ballistic when some rents were late last month. It was 4 rents out of a large complex. Some people are a little too wrapped up in it so I don't trust everything they say.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The current owner does want out. He's getting older, his kids aren't interested in the business, his wife is in florida half of the year.... he's just ready to retire and sell it all off. They've been working on this for three years and if developer A doesn't buy then B will.

The current management is 2nd generation. She took over when her father retired from managing the place. I just can't see the current owner being unhappy with her. The renters are high quality for a college town. Mostly professionals and retired people. I think it just a matter of the current management being too close to the tenants and not working well enough with the new owner to help things happen. But no one really knows.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I think the deal will happen no matter what. I think the condos will go forward. I?m still thinking about buying one but may change my mind.