one more thing ...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have another prediction nobody seems to have made yet:

There will be a top level iPod with 60GB!

Lineup could then be 20/40/60 or 30/60GB.

Reasons:

- Toshiba should have their new 30/60GB 1.8" HD ready and shipping by now and traditionally Apple is among the very first customers to receive.

- First time ever that there are only two iPod sizes available.

Still there is the question why Apple did not introduce the 4G iPod with a 60GB top model initially. I can only guess that Toshiba could not supply sufficient quantities of the new drives on time. Or is Steve punishing them for revealing Apple as a major buyer of their new HD?

On a sidenote, definitely not on Apple Expo: I am really curious to see what Apple will do with Toshiba's coming 0.85" drives. At the exact size of an SD-Card and a thickness of 3.5/5 mm they will hold 2/4GB! Energy consumption should also be considerably lower than that of the Microdrives.

iPod micro? iPod mini 8GB? iPod watch?

[I actually meant to post this in the Last Minute Predictions. Couldn't delete this one, so I posted it there again. Sorry for the inconvenience.]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by iProphet

On a sidenote, definitely not on Apple Expo: I am really curious to see what Apple will do with Toshiba's coming 0.85" drives.

Ah! That's how they'll keep the iMac 3 so thin!

Jeez, 60GB of music. I haven't filled my 20 yet. Whew.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Didnt we have a dual line op, consisting of a 5 and a 10 Gb model? Or did we go straight to 5, 10, 20 from 5.

And we wont get a 30/60 lineup now, 20, 40, 60 maybe, but not the other one.

[Edit:] Oh yeah, and an iPod Mini Mini!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    One more thing is generally something we haven't thought of - like the original iPod.

Two guesses:

New iBook with wide screen replacing the 12" and, with luck, DVI to make it easy at attach an Apple display.

iMac mini. PDA size but with a full screen. Running OS X, "mobile G3" from IBM, 60 GB micro drive, strong integration with Macs, a dock that lets you attach keyboard/mouse/display and connect to a Mac or external drive. You won't need an iPod as iTunes will be available, but there will be an "iPod screen" for those that prefer it. Windows users would go nuts and dash to the Apple Store to see what they need to buy in the way of a computer in order to use one.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i'd get a 4th gen 60gb iPod.

I use my iPod 40 as external HD and backup all the time. Im running out of space. And I have tons more music to re-rip in 192kb AAC...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    The only new hardware will be the iMac G5. There will be no 60Gb iPod because Apple has already said there won't be one.

Paris Expo will be a major disappointment for those who believe lots of new products are on tap. Europe will be introduced to Tiger, Airport Express, the iPod mini and there will probably be an announcement of new iTMS stores.

That's it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I really doubt that a 60GB is going into an iPod. Even if the drive wasn't available for the introduction of the new 4G iPod, has that ever stopped Steve announcing a product that won't be available to ship immediately? I don't think we'll ever see a 60GB iPod. I know that many people use the iPod as a transfer drive, but as drive size goes up, the number of users who need such a large drive diminishes quickly.

I'm not predicting an Expo announcement, but I think Apple has something new up its sleeve. Something small and portable which requires a lot of storage. Of course tablet comes to mind, but wouldn't put any money on it. Personally, I hope it's a device like the iPod which redefines the category.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

The only new hardware will be the iMac G5. There will be no 60Gb iPod because Apple has already said there won't be one.

Paris Expo will be a major disappointment for those who believe lots of new products are on tap. Europe will be introduced to Tiger, Airport Express, the iPod mini and there will probably be an announcement of new iTMS stores.

That's it.

Apple said they wouldn't release a 60 gb ipod? when?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    When the 4th Gen iPods were released Apple VP Greg Joswiak was asked about the 60GB drive a Toshiba exec had said that Apple ordered from them. He said they had no plans to release a 60GB iPod as they were concentrating on the 20 and 40 GB models. It doesn't mean they won't, it just won't happen this year. The story is here:

http://www.macminute.com/2004/07/19/60gbipod
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Thanks! That confirms it; something new tomorrow. Toshiba says Apple has purchased the 60GB drive. If he was telling the truth, then a new product is coming out:

- 60 gb digital camera from Apple tomorrow morning

- tablet of some kind

- what else can these be used for?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Some of us have been waiting for the damn tablet way too long. hehehe.

Maybe we should give up...

Nah, let's root for it once more.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Heidi123

- 60 gb digital camera from Apple tomorrow morning

Aargh! Wash your mouth out.