"Growl"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Something I came across researching p2p like XFactor. "Growl"

http://growl.info/about.php

Notifies you when something happens in any application, since notifications can happen in so many different ways, be it audio, visual, a mixture of both, etc, like someone signing on in AIM, a CD finished in Toast, etc.

Perhaps something to integrate in to OS X? Just the concept. Or some natural way of evolving the Dock? Though it already has a lot of capability, Toast takes good advantage of for example. It'd be nice if AIM displayed pop-ups like it does on Windows and like Adium and proteus do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Something I came across researching p2p like XFactor. "Growl"

http://growl.info/about.php

Notifies you when something happens in any application, since notifications can happen in so many different ways, be it audio, visual, a mixture of both, etc, like someone signing on in AIM, a CD finished in Toast, etc.

Perhaps something to integrate in to OS X? Just the concept. Or some natural way of evolving the Dock? Though it already has a lot of capability, Toast takes good advantage of for example. It'd be nice if AIM displayed pop-ups like it does on Windows and like Adium and proteus do.

Well, while this is useful for some people, it's not necessarily useful for others. I've never been a big fan of pop-up messages. They always pop up at inopportune times even if they only do so in corners of the screen.

Growl brings a standard interface to pop-up messages. This is good, but how many apps will use it?

I still prefer the OS's way of notification...just a simple bounce in the Dock. This doesn't crowd the screen with messages. I never need to immediately know if someone's online or if my DVD has finished burning or if I've received new mail. There are plenty of other ways for apps to notify me without being intrusive and popping windows up into my face while I'm trying to read something or click something.

If there's one major peeve, I'd have to say it's non-user-triggered actions...automatic window resizing like in Proteus and Adium and pop-ups should not be integrated into the OS. Any window or fake-window (pop-ups) that is spawned (even if they are on a timer and then disappear after a few seconds) should be user-triggered. If they're not, they can pop-up at any time and can disrupt workflow.

I hate pop-ups on the internet...pop-up notifications are no different.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Some notifications are pretty good, like an iTunes notification. I use Adium, but I turned those notifs off, since they can get annoying after a while, since I don't talk to a lot of people during my time on.

I dislike the alert bounce in the dock...it gives too much attention in my opinion, and I don't always want to address its problem first (if I'm doing something else when it happened I'd rather finish that).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I like how MacOS X combines audio and dialogue boxes in steps. If you don't see the dialogue and click ok after a certain period of time you can have it Speak the alert by setting that in Speech Prefs. I expect it will get more sophisticated in Tiger with Spoken Interface. Can XP do this? Not that I recall but I don't use it much. Can Linux? It's things like this that make MacOS subtly easier and more productive to use.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Also check out LanOSD

http://oomz.net/Lanosd/