Formac's new 21" LCD

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It looks so cool

<a href="http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_displays_gallery2010"; target="_blank">http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_displays_gallery2010</a>;

The price is pretty reasonable. I can afford to get one of these

I think I should go for the DVI version.....for multiple machine sharing....

What do you think?

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    very nice... but I would still buy two 17" displays if I had that much money... (and a machine that supported two monitors...
  • Reply 2 of 31
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Oooooooh, that's nice.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    That's pretty tasty but it's 20.1" not 21."

I kinda want one of those!
  • Reply 4 of 31
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>That's pretty tasty but it's 20.1" not 21."

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well....all 21" CRT only have 20" viewable...some even 19.5"
  • Reply 5 of 31
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Whoa! That's a nice display at a nice price!

Time to raid the couch cushions.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>

Well....all 21" CRT only have 20" viewable...some even 19.5"</strong><hr></blockquote>

True enough, but I'm comparing it to the 22" of the Cinema Display, not CRTs (though if I get one of these, it will be replacing a 21" CRT with 20" viewable).
  • Reply 7 of 31
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    The 500:1 contrast ratio is intriquing. I have the 21" CD and it's only at 350:1. Not sure what the new 22" CD is but i don't think it's at 500:1.

Damn, I may have to put mine up on ebay....
  • Reply 8 of 31
    In the most relative of terms it is a great deal. It is also still a $1700 dollar monitor. But I will admit that it is really sweet, I cannot tell for sure by the pics but I may like it a bit more than the Apple ones in design.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    not to mention i wouldn't need a $100 adaptor to hook it up to my Apple laptop.

that stupid ADC connector has to be the stupidest thing Apple has done in a Loooong time.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    WOW that's a sweet display. Price is right, too.

Of course I'd have to sell my eMac to get one...

Hmmmmmmmmm........
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Mr. Murbot

Sell all your stuff and get this display!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Dude, that display is $1000 CDN more than I paid for this eMac!

Yet... I .... feel this.... urge.....

• Reply 13 of 31
    Seriously. I AM actually thinking about getting it.

But I think I should wait for the reviews first....

Also...I have to think what I am going to do with my existing SONY 21" CRT......

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 31
    This is the resolution I have been waiting years for. Two of these give you 166% more desktop space than the Apple HD for $100 less money ? 3200 x 1200 $3400 vs. 1920 x 1200 $3500. One ADB + one DVI + one Dual 1.25 GHz PowerMac and you'll be in 2003 PowerMac computing heaven for $6700. Formac is becoming the serious alternative flat panel monitor choice for Power Users who like to do their homework.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Something to consider...

This new Formac is a great deal compared to the 22" Cinema Display at $2499.

But when the 17" Formac came out, it was only slightly cheaper than the 17" Apple Studio Display. Maybe this would indicate that Formac is pricing this unit against where they suspect Apple will have the price of the 22" Cinema Display by the time this 20.1" Formac is released.

In other words -- 20.1" Formac for 1699 versus Apple Cinema Display for $2499 = advantage Formac... but if the Cinema Display is reduced by Apple down to $2099 or even $1999, the decision is harder to make, the same way as it is with the 17" Formac versus Apple's competing product.

Who thinks we'll see a cheaper Apple Cinema Display in 1-2 months?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    WOW!!!

Apple's big displays (the 22" and 23") are actually very competitive with everything else in the big panel market. Most of their competition at comparable sizes cost a heck of a lot more.

But this Formac for 1699 ??? 1600x1200! Amazing. Now clearly the best deal in town. It's not widescreen, but it actually has more pixel area than the 22 and comparable surface area. For my money it beats the snot out of 2 17"ers (I'd rather have one big display).

Apple will need to adjust its 15" and 17" prices. Also, bear in mind that 18-19" (1600x1200) Panels are due to market soon for 999USD.

Still a 20.1" panel at that price (with MVA, which is supposed to give very nice performance), sounds like a great deal.

[ 09-05-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Matsu,

Would you please elaborate on what you know about iminent 1600x1200 LCDs@$999 please? With digital inputs or analog only? From what manufacturers? Your source of the info? Thanks.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There were widely sirculated stories in the press about 3 months ago. Q4 '02 or early Q1 '03 are supposed to bring 18-19" 1600-1200 glass in prices and quantities that would allow manufacturers to price the complete monitor out at 999. It makes sense. 17" and 18" (1280x1024) glass is currently in the 900 to 1300 Canadian range (about 600 to 850 USD). It's then that the Panel market just makes a big price jump to much bigger glass; for the most part, prices are high on low volume bigger glass in the 19-24" range.

As I remember the stories, price was a big factor. I suspect they will be digital only, to save money, and because most cards have digital connectors now. I remember a specific story which noted the panels would be strictly 8 bpp (24 bit) which seemed odd to me at the time because I though this was case for ALL flat panels. The article seemed to imply that there would be higher color depths on the way (for more expensive panels) in the future. There was another article tied into Matrox Parhelia reporting that mentioned we *might* see compatible 10 bpp panels in the coming year. Were these guys just talking out of their asses? I dunno. A 10 bpp flat panel could probably be put to good use in color critical work, but then again, don't those guys just numbers and charts to verify everything antway?

I wish I could remember the sources, sorry...
  • Reply 19 of 31
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I remember a specific story which noted the panels would be strictly 8 bpp (24 bit) which seemed odd to me at the time because I though this was case for ALL flat panels. The article seemed to imply that there would be higher color depths on the way (for more expensive panels) in the future...A 10 bpp flat panel could probably be put to good use in color critical work...</strong><hr></blockquote>

A digital photographer acquaintance who works in the studio with high end digital camera backs and is very color management saavy mentioned almost one year ago that better flat panels were coming that would be better for color critical work.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Gee Thanks Matsu! That changes my purchase plan completely. I have two 19" tubes and one 21" tube that all do 1600x1200 fine for now. I'll save the money and wait for those products to get delivered. I imagine Formac will simply lower the price of their new 20.1" from the introductory price of $1700 to $999 at MWSF or soon thereafter. Then 3 will cost less than two now. I missed all those details. I remember mentions of lower prices coming but I don't think I realized they would get that low that fast. That explains all of Apple's recent and current screen rebate offers. Not such a deal in light of your info.