looking to go wireless...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ok well i just got this router and PC card but now i need to find a cheap notebook card to put in a ti550 so it has to be 802.11b... any suggestions?

PS

Edit: i'm networking with a dell if that means anything

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Well since no one else answered....I clicked that link and the picture shows that it includes a laptop card. They say it's a PC card but that won't fit into any PCI slot that I know of...it's definately a laptop PCMIA card(dont know if i got those letters right) I started lookin at MAcs only about a year ago(like really looking at them, always liked them) so I dont exactly knwo what Ti550 means. My guess is Titanium PowerBook 550MGz? If that is so, I don't think they have a notebook card slot on them do they? So you will have to buy the Airport card from apple(Airport Extreme will not work with the Titanium PB as far as I know.) If your Dell is a desktop and you want that wireless, then you need to get a PCI wireless thing, or else you could also buy a USB one that you just plug into the USB port(I guess you could also use this for the PB, but the USB ones are only 802.11B as far as I know.) If you dont want your Dell wireless, then you shouldnt get that package because you wont have any use for the notebook card(if infact the PB does not have a notebook card slot(PCMIA?)

• Reply 2 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

ok well i just got this router and PC card but now i need to find a cheap notebook card to put in a ti550 so it has to be 802.11b... any suggestions?

PS

Edit: i'm networking with a dell if that means anything

It doesn't have to be 802.11 B...although you can't buy an Apple G card, I bet there are other vendors that sell G cards that are PCMIA.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by freakyfreak

Well since no one else answered....I clicked that link and the picture shows that it includes a laptop card. They say it's a PC card but that won't fit into any PCI slot that I know of...it's definately a laptop PCMIA card(dont know if i got those letters right) I started lookin at MAcs only about a year ago(like really looking at them, always liked them) so I dont exactly knwo what Ti550 means. My guess is Titanium PowerBook 550MGz? If that is so, I don't think they have a notebook card slot on them do they? So you will have to buy the Airport card from apple(Airport Extreme will not work with the Titanium PB as far as I know.) If your Dell is a desktop and you want that wireless, then you need to get a PCI wireless thing, or else you could also buy a USB one that you just plug into the USB port(I guess you could also use this for the PB, but the USB ones are only 802.11B as far as I know.) If you dont want your Dell wireless, then you shouldnt get that package because you wont have any use for the notebook card(if infact the PB does not have a notebook card slot(PCMIA?)

Thanks for the attempt at insight but after every statement came a "i think" so its not much help anyways... i know what i'm doing now tho

thanks anyways

PS