I'm confused...Epson C60

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was originally going to get some CDs silkscreened, but I didn't really need 100 of them, and I can't find a place that will do a smaller run than that. But today, I got an email from the company that I always buy my CD-Rs from mentioning some of the things they sell. One is a printer that will print on CDs. Under the features for <a href="http://americal.com/cgi-bin/smart_cart2.cgi?keywords=pt7854&submit_request_but ton=yes&sc_db_max_rows_returned=50&cart_id=9399115 _4981" target="_blank">this product (it's the top printer)</a>, it states "Epson C60 Engine." What does this mean, exactly? That someone bought a C60, tore it apart and rebuilt it, adding the CD printing abilities? And if so, is that good or bad? And on a semi-related note, does anyone have experience printing on CDs like this, or have printer recommendations?

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>What does this mean, exactly? That someone bought a C60, tore it apart and rebuilt it, adding the CD printing abilities? And if so, is that good or bad? And on a semi-related note, does anyone have experience printing on CDs like this, or have printer recommendations?

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's exactly what it is. It uses C60 ink cartridges, Epson drivers, etc.

I have one that I use for printing on DVDs. It does a pretty good job.

At the time I was looking, all of the other alternativs were well over $1000.

Unless you really need to print directly on CD, it's much more economical to go with labels.

As for DVDs, a lot of people have had problems with using labels. Basically they make the DVD useless in most players.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by ryukyu:

<strong>As for DVDs, a lot of people have had problems with using labels. Basically they make the DVD useless in most players.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I don't have a printer anyway, so either way I have to buy one. I just figured this way I can save a step. As for quality, is the prining on the disk surface of the same quality as on paper? Have you had any problems with it? Is it OSX compaitable? Thanks for the advice.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>

Well, I don't have a printer anyway, so either way I have to buy one. I just figured this way I can save a step. As for quality, is the prining on the disk surface of the same quality as on paper? Have you had any problems with it? Is it OSX compaitable? Thanks for the advice.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's true but you can get a good printer for a lot less money. A regular C60 can be had for under $100.

The printing on the disk is as good as on paper.

I haven't had any problems so far.

It comes with Epson OSX drivers. The software the manufacturer supplies (Discus) to print labels is not for OSX. At least with the one I bought. I also couldn't find any mention of one on their website, however I was able to find an OSX version of Discus through versiontracker and downloaded that.

Then it's a matter of tweaking in that software until you get the image lined up. I got some cardboard "CD"s to do test prints on from Primera. It's a lot cheaper than ruining CDs.

I don't do anything in Classic anymore, so getting this to work in OSX was important to me.