just got a powermac g3

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi guys i posted here about a month ago while trying to sell my comp for an emac, well a month later and i now have a powermac g3 350/128mb ram/6gb hard drive/cd/zip/ apple studio display , the whole thing cost me 200 bucks so im quite happy with it, im in the mist of getting jaguar and was curious if anyone knew some tips to help pump the most out of it on this machine , and if ya say up the ram i already did that by putting it at 256.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    If you really want to see speed in Jaguar you have to have at least 512MB. 1GIG of ram will bring out the speed of Jaguar. I recently upgraded my iMac from 384MB of ram to 1GIG and I saw improvment which I can not explain over the internet. Also do a clean install. This will make sure nothing is there to slow it down.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Absolutely. if you're at 256, going to 512 will make a noticable difference.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    alright well i got 384mb ram in here at the moment cuz i stole 256 from the pc lol so now it has NO ram in it lol serves it right. anyways ive been looking at proc upgrades cuz i know the g3 350 in here is slowing this thing down and sonnet has a g4 upgrade for 200 bucks that is 400mhz. my thing is i mainly do a tad bit of flash work as well as photoshop and of course internet junk, i wonder though if a 400mhz g4 is worth it to run photoshop 7 and flash on this thing, or if i should save up the 300 for a powerlogix 533mhz g4 upgrade
  • Reply 4 of 4
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by millhouse:

<strong>alright well i got 384mb ram in here at the moment cuz i stole 256 from the pc lol so now it has NO ram in it lol serves it right. anyways ive been looking at proc upgrades cuz i know the g3 350 in here is slowing this thing down and sonnet has a g4 upgrade for 200 bucks that is 400mhz. my thing is i mainly do a tad bit of flash work as well as photoshop and of course internet junk, i wonder though if a 400mhz g4 is worth it to run photoshop 7 and flash on this thing, or if i should save up the 300 for a powerlogix 533mhz g4 upgrade</strong><hr></blockquote>

Save up for the 533 upgrade. I have a 400mhz G4 and it runs great for Photoshop and stuff like that. Almost as fast as my 800mhz iMac because of the cache. Anyway get the best one you can get. If you get the 533 you will notice more of a difference in speed and it is definately worth the money.