Bare minimum for decent iMovie/iDVD

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have some old Hi8 tapes I should really transfer over to DVD.

If i just want to make a simple DVD with basic transitions what is the bare minimum hardware I need?

Apple's website says "iDVD requires a 733MHz PowerPC G4 or faster."

I have a iMac G4/700 w/512mb RAM/40gig HD.

I'd need to drop in a DVD burner, but I won't if I need a faster processor just to get iDVD to run.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I have some old Hi8 tapes I should really transfer over to DVD.

If i just want to make a simple DVD with basic transitions what is the bare minimum hardware I need?

Apple's website says "iDVD requires a 733MHz PowerPC G4 or faster."

I have a iMac G4/700 w/512mb RAM/40gig HD.

I'd need to drop in a DVD burner, but I won't if I need a faster processor just to get iDVD to run.

I'm running iDVD on my goo' ol' Cube (450/832) - BUT it is just iDVD3! It works, needs a long night to computate a movie of about 60min but for hobby quiet well?-

the installer of iLife4 will recognize what kind of machine you're using?- will not install.

buy iLife03 or a new mac ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    you can try to cheat the installer (open the package and search for a file which has the minimum requirements). If it doesn't work just delete it again.

Remember that noone will garanty you that you won't loose data, because you "shouldn't" cheat installers (apple must have some reason for their minimum requirements).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

you can try to cheat the installer (open the package and search for a file which has the minimum requirements). If it doesn't work just delete it again.

Remember that noone will garanty you that you won't loose data, because you "shouldn't" cheat installers (apple must have some reason for their minimum requirements).

for satchmo this makes sense, for a mac half the specs... naw! iDVD4 is very powerfull - 450MHz is... not enough ... btw: I'm happy to make iDVD run with a Cube! - dirty hardware hack, prolonging the internal IDE outside the case.