New iMac G5 Screen comparison

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone have any info (beyond what is shown under Tech Specs on the Apple site) for the 20" screen? Especially as it is compared to the 20" cinema screen?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Interesting that, judging from Apple's officially published specs, they are different (typical brightness 230 vs 250 and typical contrast ratio 350:1 vs 400:1). I wonder about response time and pixel pitch.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Same questions here as well costique.

Didn't figure it would be as good. Just wondering how close.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    In an another forum, a poster asked this question to an Apple employee at Apple expo Paris. The Apple guy replied that it was indeed the same TFT than the Apple screen.

The difference of luminosity and contrast could came from a different and less powerful backlighting.

Remember that the 23 incher and the 30 incher have a different technology than the 20. The 20 TFT is a quite an old screen, and for cost reasons, the screen of the Imac could be the same, but a little bit unpowered.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Thanks Powerdoc!

Sounds like the 20" screen will be very nice. Can't wait to see one.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    It sounds like the new iMac display is based on the old Cinema Display screens, pre WWDC.

I've used a 20" screen for almost a year and while I'm jealous of the new aluminum screens, my current screen is still great. I'm positive the iMac screens are just as good.

Granted, I haven't done any special research or anything...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I'd be more than happy with the specs of the 20" iMac. The 17" is another story though. The limited vertical viewing angle bothers me.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I'd be more than happy with the specs of the 20" iMac. The 17" is another story though. The limited vertical viewing angle bothers me.

yes I fear, that it's the same screen than the one of the powerbook with a more powerful backlighting. The powerbook screen is not bad but the limited vertical viewing is indeed a real cons, especially for viewing photos.

When the specifications note a 90 ° angle of view, it's the maximum angle of view, the optimum view angle is far more limited.

Most people who went to the Apple Expo said that the imac 20 screen was better than the 17 inch. After some years of computer experience, I came to the conclusion, that silence and great screens are more important than raw performance. That's why I decided to order a 20 inch Imac G5 on the apple store. Shipping date is late september.