PowerBook 1.33 or ibook 1.2

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yet another one of these what should I buy!

I'm heading back to uni in a couple of weeks and have to buy a laptop. I want a PBG5 but that's not going to happen until year dot. So, option b, get a laptop and keep it until rev A or rev B powerbook G5 arrives. BUT which one!

My extravagant side says a PB1.33 but it sets me back an extra £280 on the ibook (plus £80 HD upgrade) and before I know it I'm spending a hell of a lot of money. Also if we crystal ball the next updates the powerbook must make a bigger leap than the ibook. Even so the ibook will probably equal the existing powerbooks at least in spead. So, does all this mean the ibook is a better buy?

I'm studying architecture so a faster machine will be a plus but I've used enough apples to know that the ibook would do the job, i'll just spend all my time drooling at the person in the bay next ot me with the powerbook!

I guess a final question should be, how do the PowerBooks hold there value compared to ibooks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I just bought a laptop for uni, I had the choice between the 1.25Ghz iBook, the 1.33Ghz Powerbook 12" and the 15" 1.33Ghz powerbook, I went with the Powerbook15 " . The Powerbooks will hold their value just as well if not better compared to iBooks I imagine, as are they are a more desirable product (as you said), plus the fact that the iBook is underneath it in price etc, it will keep the Powerbook prices up. But I could be completely wrong...