New iMac has older brother?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Take a look at the eMac from the from front. Exactly the same as the new iMac except for the CD drive and speakers, but exactly the same shape. Interesting ehh?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I wonder if iMac 3 isn't really iMac 2 version 1-before the walk in Steve's garden. Maybe they had the general look figured out long ago, but couldn't squeeze things together to fit in such a tight space.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I'm sure there are many prototypes of computers in Apple's R&D department. They spend a lot of money doing this. There are probably prototypes for the next gen iMac (or whatever it will be called). These things usually take years to develop sometimes waiting for when the technology catches up with design.

If you're counting, so far SJ's influence on design has produced the Cube - a failure, and the sunflower iMac - a good not but outstanding success. The new iMac has more of Ive in it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Someone should do a collage/comparison with photoshop of the following:

original iMac (head on view, screen and surrounding frame)

emac (head on)

iPod (only use area just above scroll wheel)

New iMac

Make them all the same size.

Very similar. A lot of space below the screen has been around for quite awhile.

I really like this latest design.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I wonder if iMac 3 isn't really iMac 2 version 1-before the walk in Steve's garden. Maybe they had the general look figured out long ago, but couldn't squeeze things together to fit in such a tight space.

Yeah, you could be right.

"Hey Steve, check out the sunflowers!"

"Whoa, Ive, we should ditch our current iMac design, and make one that looks like those sunflowers!"

"Great Idea, Steve!"