Why does everyone dis the 14" iBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yes, the screen resolution could be better and of course it's heavier ( larger items tend to add weight to things).

It's not as sleek as the Titanium but it sure is sturdier. And what's all this crap about the space around the keyboard looking odd. Anyone see the space around the Powerbook lately?

Now I don't have a 14" iBook, but I think i may be in the market for one. I'm holding out not because of it's design but because of it's processor and video out capabilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    heavier, larger, screen is physically bigger, no increased res.

that's it in a nutshell.

biggest advantage? longer battery life. if that's your main concern, it's a good machine.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    It's a$$ ugly in comparison to the 12" and heavier.

It's like those "large print" books -- great for old folks with failing eyes, I guess.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i like the 14" iBook. 1024x768 makes stuff a little hard to read on a 12" screen, especially if i will be using it for long periods of time to read text. Apparently i am in the minority though.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Not sure... we all cried for the Son of Pismo to come along... and we're bitching now that it's here.

For some reason, it just looks, well... BIG. It just doesn't look natural. It's all perception I guess, but it just seems off to me. The space around the keyboard seems to be really noticeable, but looks fine on the Ti Books.

As for the screen resolution, sure it's not any higher, but it would be more comfortable to use. Just like it's easier working on a 17" CRT at 1024x768 than the iBooks's 12.1" at the same. Might not be any more pixels there, but it's easier to work with. And no, I don't have bad eyesight.

If they could manage to add another inch to the screen in the small iBooks without increasing the case size, I think everyone would be happy. It's just the case size on these 14.1" iBooks that most people don't like.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Cos' it's fat and fugly!

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>i like the 14" iBook. 1024x768 makes stuff a little hard to read on a 12" screen, especially if i will be using it for long periods of time to read text. Apparently i am in the minority though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unless you have poor vision the 12" is fine.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I personally think it's ugly because the iBook 12" is really cute. The 14"er isn't. And it should be because it has the body. It's like a really good looking woman who's just too big. I don't mean overweight. Just a magnified version of someone who would be hot. It doesn't work.

Of course, if you're a big person, too, the 12"er doesn't look right either.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    No idea why 'everyone dis the 14" iBook'

On a 15" monitor, to get the look of 1024x768 you only need it on 800x600. I 1024x768 and the next 2 or 3 steps up, but 1024x768 is perfect for normal things. I think 1024x768 is alittle to small on a 12" screen (20/20 vision people), and I bet most peole that bash it never even saw it in real life...heck I wonder if they even saw the 12" in real life. Either way you'd get used to it. Going from a 17" monitor to 12" monitor both at 1024x768 would be hard, when I fix the 12" iBooks, its harder to see things (not impossible by any means though) but just harder. I like the 12", and I like the 14"...but my real passion lies in the titanium bueaty...that is why I have a poster of it in my room...a GIANT poster!
  • Reply 9 of 31
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    This is exactly what i mean. There is no basis for many of the comments here.

It's the same thickness as the 12" model, so it's not fat (unless you think the 12" is too).

Apart from the added space around the keyboard, it looks the same as 12" model, os it's not ugly. (unless you think the 12" is too).

Technology aside, it is essentially the same as it's smaller sibling. I'm sure we'd like to have it lighter, but then we'd be encroaching on Powerbook territory.

Yes, the ultimate would be a hybrid between a Powerbook and an iBook...but this is Apple we're talking about.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Unless you have poor vision the 12" is fine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would say it is fine, too. However, as mentioned above, i think the 14" screen is more comfortable to view. I would consider my laptop use to be 75% home, 25% on the road (if i had a laptop) and for me, i would want the bigger screen 75% of the time.

And, uh, yeah.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    the space round the keyboard looks classy on the Ti, prolly due to the darker shaded surface with the visible border

The ibook however looks best small
  • Reply 12 of 31
    to me the 12" and 14" iBook look the same I got the 14" just for the extra viewing space. The extra space around the keyboard doesn't bother me, it actually gives me a place to rest my palms comfortably.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I always argue that everyone loves the Pismo and yet it had a 14" 1024x768 screen. I have a Wallstreet with the same screen and I love it. I've tried the 12" iBooks in an Apple store, and the screen is just too damn tiny. The 14" ones have bigger, brighter screens.

By the way, if you have the same pixel density on a 12" screen as on a 14" 1024x768 screen, you end up with around 888x666 pixels. I did this a little while ago when I tried compressing an image so it would show me what a 1024x768 image would look like on a 12" screen. So 1024x768 on a 12" screen is very, very small.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There are a lot of people who NEED a bigger display, more pixels or not. Look around, see how many people wear glasses. Now think about people over 40, they may not need bifocals yet, but their eyes don't accomodate as well as they used to, by 50 a LOT, maybe 'most', people need bi-focals. There's a definite market for 1024x768 in 14" and 15" sizes.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I have a 12 inch, I have access to a 14". I'm sticking with my 12", because for me, the smaller size is more convenient than the larger size, even with my bi-focals. My laptop gets used in my car for GPSy. When I go home and plug the computer into my 17" monitor the screen size doesn't matter any more. ALthough a higher resolution would be better. I like the size of my 12 inch so much I've decided to forgo getting a much more powerful Powerbook. If it's you're only system and you don't have a monitor, maybe you need a larger screen, but overall I have to say, laptop screens suck anyway. SO do laptop keyboards. As soon as I get home I plug it into the keyboard/mouse, monitor, scanner, printer, and it's just another computer.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Too big

Too heavy

Too ugly compare to the nice looking 12"
  • Reply 17 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong> The 14" ones have bigger, brighter screens.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, the 12" screens are brighter.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    [quote] I personally think it's ugly because the iBook 12" is really cute. The 14"er isn't. And it should be because it has the body. It's like a really good looking woman who's just too big. I don't mean overweight. Just a magnified version of someone who would be hot. It doesn't work.

<hr></blockquote>

I believe you are referring to we in college call a "haus" pronounced hoss, and you are right no one likes a haus.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    The whole keyboard area on the 14" looks half ass, like they threw it together at the last minute. I am sorry but all of that empty space around the keyboard screams: "Apple you can design better than this!"
  • Reply 20 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by norfa:

<strong>I have a 12 inch, I have access to a 14". I'm sticking with my 12", because for me, the smaller size is more convenient than the larger size, even with my bi-focals. My laptop gets used in my car for GPSy. When I go home and plug the computer into my 17" monitor the screen size doesn't matter any more. ALthough a higher resolution would be better. I like the size of my 12 inch so much I've decided to forgo getting a much more powerful Powerbook. If it's you're only system and you don't have a monitor, maybe you need a larger screen, but overall I have to say, laptop screens suck anyway. SO do laptop keyboards. As soon as I get home I plug it into the keyboard/mouse, monitor, scanner, printer, and it's just another computer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree, norfa, for you the 12" screen is great. You actually use the portability of a laptop. Many people don't, and for them it would seem like the 14" screen would make more sense. I keep repeating myself. Someone make me stop!