Does Tiger 10.4 have what I want?...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi there,

I made a list of everything I want in Tiger.

Some of them are quite simple requests. Got Tiger? Can you let me know if I'm going to get lucky?

Cheers Daniel

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Well, i'm sure tiger will have some of your requested features. There are also some features you want (like your first 2 itunes ones) that are already available in Panther.

edit: as far as the crossfade thing, I have never experienced clicking.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by dahacouk

Hi there,

I made a list of everything I want in Tiger.

Some of them are quite simple requests. Got Tiger? Can you let me know if I'm going to get lucky?

Cheers Daniel

You should put this wishlist on the Tiger Tracker forums so that the features can be discussed as we go further into the Beta. www.tigertracker.net

The next Beta should be due soon.

Resolution Independece is hidding in Tiger. It's unlikely it will be ready by launch but by the time we get around to 10.4.5 or something it might be enabled.

Workspaces. Same thing..undocumented calls are in even Panther but Apple hasn't used them yet.

Software Update API- Apple thought about it and even prepared certificate authentication and then dropped it smartly. If Adobe puts a bum update in SU the user is either going to call Adobe(wisely) are blame Apple for for allowing a faulty update to be in SU. Apple's best to stay out of this potential mess.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

There are also some features you want (like your first 2 itunes ones) that are already available in Panther.

Firstly, here's the first 2 iTunes items that you say are already in Panther:

* Search Like On Click

* In the normal Library view all Song Names, Artist, Album, etc. (metadata) should be hotlinked (click-able on). When clicked on this term does a search for all like songs. For example when you click on the term "Yes" in the Artist column then all songs by "Yes" are searched for and displayed. This would be a neat navigational feature.

* Cross Fades Produce Clicks

* Nuff said. Clicks all over the place when this option is turned on.

The second one is really a bug so I'm not sure if I've understood you right.

The first one is something I've not seen implemented. Note that I am suggesting the search happens on the internal local database of songs and not the iTunes Music Store as is currently the case.

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

You should put this wishlist on the Tiger Tracker forums so that the features can be discussed as we go further into the Beta. www.tigertracker.net

The next Beta should be due soon.

Resolution Independece is hidding in Tiger. It's unlikely it will be ready by launch but by the time we get around to 10.4.5 or something it might be enabled.

Workspaces. Same thing..undocumented calls are in even Panther but Apple hasn't used them yet.

Software Update API- Apple thought about it and even prepared certificate authentication and then dropped it smartly. If Adobe puts a bum update in SU the user is either going to call Adobe(wisely) are blame Apple for for allowing a faulty update to be in SU. Apple's best to stay out of this potential mess.

Not sure where on Tiger Tracker this should go. Perhaps you could assist seeing as you are already registered.

I'm sure the Software Update thing will happen at some point. I mean there isn't this problem in Safari or Mail. We go to a badly designed site and or receive s p a m and we don't blame Apple. Where Apple could get in trouble is if they insist on hosting the updates for ALL software. Then I see your scenario coming true. But if Apple just say to developers here's Software Update and use as you wish then it doesn't go through Apple and so the user wont blame Apple just like we currently don't blame them for s p a m etc.

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 5 of 5
    You can add this to your list: Starting in Panther, the Finder doesn't do a good job with icon placement. Icons seems to jump around and not follow a logical pattern.

For example, icons should stay in order in the column on the right (discs etc.) but more often than not if you have a gap in the column (from an en ejected CD), that space is ignored, so a newly inserted CD or a file saved to the desktop will pop up elsewhere.

Same goes for files you are downloading. The "in progress" file shows up on the desktop, then when the file is done downloading, the file jumps to a different location.

This gets quite annoying because you never quite know where your stuff is going to jump to. This never happened before Panther, even in the classic OS. I hope this makes sense.

There is also a noticeable lag when moving files to different locations. Icons dropped from Mail onto the desktop, for example, don't show up there right away, and if you drag a file from the desktop into a folder and let go, the file should instantly disappear from the desktop, but instead it stays on the desktop for about 1 second and THEN it's gone.